05 6l missing when cold

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt there is gunk in your injectors, but it's a good idea to run a quality diesel fuel additive... I run Schaeffer's...15 seconds of rough running at cold start wouldn't bother me much, its a diesel, it's gotta warm up :D

ya im using a lucas fuel addative, but its the oil side of the injector that is causing it to stick and miss when cold. just hoping the miss doesnt turn into a failed injector.

rough run doesnt bother me, but a dead miss does!!

i need this truck for long miles, so just trying to stay ahead of it

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fordman60, I hope you don't think of your truck as a gasser. You can't get into it and drive it hard on a cold morning. Let it warm up by driving very easy or letting it idle for 5 minutes before driving it hard. These engines do not work well until up to operating temperature. No additives will do this! This is a fact of life with a diesel.

Dave :)

no i am a mechanic, so i understand the importance of letting it warm up. i never drove it cold or missing, it just bugs me when my baby is not running right thats all.

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
...went to florida this past weekend... mid 70s in temps... and what do you know... no dead miss for me on cold start. this morning... in the 40s... and a dead miss.

DaveBen... i understand you need to let it warm up... but the idea is that it didnt do it before... so why now... i still want to fix the problem.

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plug it in.

Dave

I think what he is saying though is that it never did this before plugged in or otherwise . It is somthing that has just started happening this winter . At least that is what I am getting from it . My truck is a 1999 7.3 with 38k miles on it now , I can start it any morning any temp , plugged in or not and it fires right off and actually idles pretty decent considering it's a diesel . If I go out tomorrow and it feels as though there is a dead miss , somthing has changed , what could it be . Sounds like a bad glow plug to me because a dead miss makes me think one cylinder not firing .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl