05 6l missing when cold

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the latest flash (sorry I don't have the # handy) actually heated the injectors prior to start to address injector "sticktion" in cold conditions. The flash prior to this one cycled the injectors (buzzing noise) for 30 seconds after shutdown to spit the oil out so they weren't loaded with cold oil at startup. I have this flash, and it helps, but the latest one (well probably a year or 2 old) improves cold start even more.

hmm i dont think i have that flash, but this is my third winter with this truck and i have never had this problem before!!!! i still suspect something is wrong, as i have started it before (not plugged in) in minus 25 c with no missing . anyone know how to test glowplugs?

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
...i posted in another thread about the same problem..... the thig is mine never did it before either. im scared to take the truck in because i have a programmer...

but... same symptom... the thing is... its not even that cold here in georgia.. misses until it reaches operating temp.

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...i posted in another thread about the same problem..... the thig is mine never did it before either. im scared to take the truck in because i have a programmer...

but... same symptom... the thing is... its not even that cold here in georgia.. misses until it reaches operating temp.

hmm. mine clears up in about 30 sec to a minute. i tried starting it and using a temp gun on the exhaust manifolds to see if one cylinder was colder than the others, but i couldnt find more than a few degrees difference, so i am leaning towards glow plugs.

gonna have to consult my shop manuals and see how to test the glow plugs.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, The Inductive Heat Cycling Flash, that RoyBoy was refering to does exist and it is a great deal of help. I had the same symptoms on my 03, cold, had no power for the first 30-60 seconds of running, would hardly move....... Took it in under warrenty, and they did the flash, and all the symptoms cleared, it just acted like a "cold diesel" lower power and rattles more. I had this installed in January of 08 and it was "new" then, and I do not believe they have anything newer.

The way it works is, the FICM cycles the actuator valve in the injector, sounds very much like a buzz test, which heats the little bit of oil in the injector body, when you turn on the key and the WTS light is illuminated. Depending on how cold it is, depends on how long it "buzzes" the injectors. I hardly look at the WTS any more, because if the injectors are chattering, it is on. The cycle is about the same length as a normal glow plug cycle.......

A trick to test, and then a workaround untill you can get it into the shop for the flash, is plug in the block heater, no matter what the ambient temp, I had mine plugged in, in a heated attached garage...... 60-70 degrees. It would start and run normally that way.

Last edited:

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, The Inductive Heat Cycling Flash, that RoyBoy was refering to does exist and it is a great deal of help. I had the same symptoms on my 03, cold, had no power for the first 30-60 seconds of running, would hardly move....... Took it in under warrenty, and they did the flash, and all the symptoms cleared, it just acted like a "cold diesel" lower power and rattles more. I had this installed in January of 08 and it was "new" then, and I do not believe they have anything newer.

The way it works is, the FICM cycles the actuator valve in the injector, sounds very much like a buzz test, which heats the little bit of oil in the injector body, when you turn on the key and the WTS light is illuminated. Depending on how cold it is, depends on how long it "buzzes" the injectors. I hardly look at the WTS any more, because if the injectors are chattering, it is on. The cycle is about the same length as a normal glow plug cycle.......

A trick to test, and then a workaround untill you can get it into the shop for the flash, is plug in the block heater, no matter what the ambient temp, I had mine plugged in, in a heated attached garage...... 60-70 degrees. It would start and run normally that way.

thanks! i was wondering how the injector could possibly heat itself!!! i will call and see if i can get in for the flash

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it lasts any longer than about 30 seconds, typically you have an injector or two that is "gummed up" on the mechanical end. These need to be replaced if that's the case. If under 30 seconds, it's typically just the fact that the beast is cold....I had this issue and my Ford Mechanic replaced two injectors as it lasted for quite some time. It's perfect now, but I started it this morning at 15 deg F and it missed for 10 seconds....I called him and he told me that had I plugged it in, it would have been fine. But, that he didn't think there was an issue as it was so cold!

Thanks,
Rusty

fordman60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks! i was wondering how the injector could possibly heat itself!!! i will call and see if i can get in for the flash

got the new flash. now it starts better than it ever has, but still has the miss for about 15 sec. are there any oil addatives that can help clean the gunk out of the injectors?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I doubt there is gunk in your injectors, but it's a good idea to run a quality diesel fuel additive... I run Schaeffer's...15 seconds of rough running at cold start wouldn't bother me much, its a diesel, it's gotta warm up :D

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Fordman60, I hope you don't think of your truck as a gasser. You can't get into it and drive it hard on a cold morning. Let it warm up by driving very easy or letting it idle for 5 minutes before driving it hard. These engines do not work well until up to operating temperature. No additives will do this! This is a fact of life with a diesel.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl