Help Needed 05 excursion rough idle buck under part throttle

not4show

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2005 6.0 4x4 Excursion, Catback exhaust banks intake otherwise stock.

Kind of a long post, any help would be great though.

Reciepts that show EGR cooler and related stuff done at 80K($3500)

I bought it about 4 months ago with 90k miles on it. Driven all over the west/southwest putting 14k miles on it only issue I had was Alternator went bad, so spent the 30 min putting a new one in.

2 days ago, hooked my toyhauler(6k empty) to it for the first time to take some furniture up to Reno from Bay Area(200 miles). No issues all the way up cruised at 60 over the mountain. Coming home near the peak around 7k feet Check engine light pops on, but truck still ran fine.

Today Headed across the bay pulling the toyhauler again, went to the otherside of the Bay area, a couple good climbs no big deal. got there fine.

Problem started when I started the truck to head home. Started and it Idle rough, starting driving and the truck would buck under part throttle on flat ground, seemed low on power, going up hill if RPM over 2200 it would surge back and forth smoothly. Finally on a long uphill about 30 miles into the drive truck had huge loss of power blew some black smoke(no smoke until then) stopped smoking and I crossed the peak and coasted down the otherside of the hill exited freeway and parked, Got a tow home, then had to get my reliable 7.3 with 250k to go back and get the toyhauler.

Guages were fine, Engine light didn't come on until the last big climb, oil good, tranny fluid good,
Coolant bottle was blowing fluid through the cap, bottle was almost empty until I popped the cap and pressure release let it fill back to a normal level.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

oil cooler, egr, fuel injector issue?

Any help would be great. Can't get it scanned until monday.

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with what you are saying about immediate loss of power and black smoke sounds like egr. thats what mine did. im guessing since you live in CA you can not do a delete kit on yours...which sucks! i deleted mine the minute it hiccupped on me. if i were you and it is your egr, dont half ace it go ahead and put a new oil cooler on as well. keep checking through here though. theres tons of knowledgable people on here. and welcome to forum!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58