06 - 33K - no start - oil rail plug ?

HOTVET67

06 F350 LOADED
Reaction score
Can any one make a good guess where to look for with this problem ?

stock 06 diesel 33K miles using 5 / 40 syn oil , highway miles with truck camper.

After driving a few miles will not restart after sitting 10 minutes , will restart after waiting an hour .

Cleaned the egr valve and intake and it started fine for over 100 miles , the rpm picked up alittle after cleaning.

Just drove it today and it started having longer crank time's after driving , has always started in 2 or 3 seconds .

Now it won't start at all , I here the oil rail plug - o rings fail and will cause long cranks and no start.

But I have no idea where the plug is at , my first diesel , bob

atk

Reaction score
the oil rail is located under each valve cover on top of the injector`s. they are there to supply the high pressure oil to each injector....your problem may also be the HPOP connector. there is a TSB for this issue....

HOTVET67

06 F350 LOADED
Reaction score
the oil rail is located under each valve cover on top of the injector`s. they are there to supply the high pressure oil to each injector....your problem may also be the HPOP connector. there is a TSB for this issue....

thanks atk - dealer said , they can't fix it if its running good , F I C M was replaced after it would hardly run after a fuel filter change back in May.

I'm hoping it will stay in the no start mode , so I can tow it in to the dealer.

Such a great truck when there running right .

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Mine will do the same thing but hasn't done it since the weather turned cold. Dealer gives me the same reply you got. It won't throw a code so they have nothing to go by. I think mine is the HPOP conection too but just can't get the dealer to do it.

HOTVET67

06 F350 LOADED
Reaction score
Mine will do the same thing but hasn't done it since the weather turned cold. Dealer gives me the same reply you got. It won't throw a code so they have nothing to go by. I think mine is the HPOP conection too but just can't get the dealer to do it.

I'm thinking if it won't restart in the drive through write up area they will have to deal with it, maybe the egr harness will fall off for a code.

My problem is I don't drive the truck everyday , thought the egr cleaning fixed it but no luck .

It always restarted after 1 hour until today and it was cold all day , not good business for the wrecker driver when he goes to load it up and it restarts, like it did the first time in the gas station.

I think the dealer has a $190.00 diagnose fee if they can't find the problem under warranty. Need to find a good ford teck that likes to make side money in my area.

Good luck with yours , will post the fix sooner or later.

DR.Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if there is a leak i can be found with a proper air test.you can remove the icp sensor and screw in a air fitting,install a test harness on the ipr and connect it to the battery to supply 12 volts to the ipr to close the bump port on the high pressure pump and apply shop air to the high pressure system.after the oil is pushed out of the system you will be able to hear a leak out of the oil fill tube or the crankcase vent on the other valve cover.if there isnt a leak or the air dosnt change then it could be a sticking ipr.but if you hear a leak then its either the stc fitting on the high pressure oil pump,the pump seal itself or the dummy plugs on the high pressure rails.you just have to find a dealership that has someone smart enough to do the test.its not rocket science.

HOTVET67

06 F350 LOADED
Reaction score
Update hpop stc leak - no start when hot

Update on the no start when hot - got it to no start every time by driving 10 miles , shut off motor , if restarted ran on high idle switch 5 min. shut off and would not restart.

I had a record of no starts , on paper for 6 times 100 + miles , before I let the dealer have it.

High pressure air test done - Leak at ( snap to connect fitting ) HPOP

R & R STC fitting kit # 4c3z - 9b246 - E

Air test was ICP slow to build and IPR 85% - 9 second long crank after 5 mile test drive by tech.

My thoughts - should be a recall for all 6.0s on this item $5o - 60 part , I'm guessing a 800.00 job if its not on warranty, in shop over 1 week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58