Question '06 6.0 perf parts time help

icarus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello All.

I've got an '06 F350 LB crew 6.0 4x4 w/ 55k on it and 3.73 gears. 5" Donahoe lift kit with 35's, FabFours bumpers, Warn 16.5k winch. Great truck, 14-17 mpg combined. Zero issues other than that I'm going to throw a pretty hefty cabover with enough water, food, gear and wife to really work the 6.0. So I turn to those here that have mod'd their rigs-

Plain and simple, point me to the air intake, exhaust, chip, diff and tranny covers, coolers and bypasses and otherwise that have worked for you, were able to be installed by yourself and DID NOT throw codes. This package and mine are going to Baja from Northern CA and breaking down without a knowlegable blue oval guy is keeping me up nights.

I don't want to turn this into a brand name calling contest, just need the right info the first time. And telling me that I should have kept my '02 7.3 doesn't count.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have only one thing to say. Don't change the intake filter, it is not needed. The stock unit will flow very well up to 4 hundred something horsepower. This filter will filter out all the junk that the others bypass. As for your other mods, have at it!!!

Dave

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icarus

The stock truck is pretty tough, and well able to tow what you throw at it. If you are going off the beaten path, I would stay as stock as possible, because it will be more reliable, and easier to fix should something go wrong. I would concentrate on making sure all the routine maintenance is done - filters, oil (synthetic is best with the 6.0, stands up to the heat and pressure better than dino), maybe clean up your egr before you go, make sure the HFCM is drained (if you change the fuel filters that is automatic). The truck Ford puts out is the best overall compromise for what it will probably will be used for, most mods may increase a performance item in one area, but will certainly decrease something else. In other words you won't get something for nothing.

Unless you have a real need to throw money at your Ford - basic maintenance is really all you need before you leave on a long trip. If you have Continentals on her, I would get rid of those, I have Toyo open country AT's - much better.

One of those modded, chipped, supertuned, aftermarket 500 RWHP monsters are the last thing you want to take on a relaxing trip somewhere off the beaten path - those guys spend most of their time on this forum, trying to figure out why their truck doesn't run right.

I spent my money on a bypass oil filter (amsoil -great for the injectors), synthetic oil, and a diesel heater for cold Canadian winter starts. I also put a coolant filter on - surprising all the crap it catches, but other than that, she's stock, and will reliably pull any load I can throw at her through the Canadian Rockies with lots to spare in the passing department.

I admit my advice is not as exciting as putting on a tuner, 5 inch pipes, and a big turbo - but I assume you are going camping - not looking to blow your head gaskets out in the baha.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
The stock truck is pretty tough, and well able to tow what you throw at it. If you are going off the beaten path, I would stay as stock as possible, because it will be more reliable, and easier to fix should something go wrong. I would concentrate on making sure all the routine maintenance is done - filters, oil (synthetic is best with the 6.0, stands up to the heat and pressure better than dino), maybe clean up your egr before you go, make sure the HFCM is drained (if you change the fuel filters that is automatic). The truck Ford puts out is the best overall compromise for what it will probably will be used for, most mods may increase a performance item in one area, but will certainly decrease something else. In other words you won't get something for nothing.

Unless you have a real need to throw money at your Ford - basic maintenance is really all you need before you leave on a long trip. If you have Continentals on her, I would get rid of those, I have Toyo open country AT's - much better.

One of those modded, chipped, supertuned, aftermarket 500 RWHP monsters are the last thing you want to take on a relaxing trip somewhere off the beaten path - those guys spend most of their time on this forum, trying to figure out why their truck doesn't run right.

I spent my money on a bypass oil filter (amsoil -great for the injectors), synthetic oil, and a diesel heater for cold Canadian winter starts. I also put a coolant filter on - surprising all the crap it catches, but other than that, she's stock, and will reliably pull any load I can throw at her through the Canadian Rockies with lots to spare in the passing department.

I admit my advice is not as exciting as putting on a tuner, 5 inch pipes, and a big turbo - but I assume you are going camping - not looking to blow your head gaskets out in the baha.

X2 JetPilot1, I couldn't have said it better myself!!! I just did exactly what you described to prep my truck for a cross country road trip coming up in two weeks, including a bypass filter on the engine AND the transmission.

icarus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, you're all pretty much confirming what I'm thinking and have experienced.

Yes, the trip is going to be more of a slow speed crawl and camp and yeah, having everything stock makes it much easier to carry spares. I guess my main issue was getting a bit more ooomph from the 6.0, but in retrospect as most of the ruuning will be at way less than 50mph, it's more a matter of hitting tow mode and planning ahead for the hills.

I do plan on adding a larger tranny pan for the capacity and after looking at the Amsoil by-pass thread, I can see the merit in that. I'm going to swap the diff and transfer case oils to synthetic and keep the motor on dino oil since reading that the change intervals make running a synthetic pretty pricey, but then with a by-pass installed, I guess it would merit it.

Thanks again.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm not pushing 500 HP but I'm always here trying to figure out what you stock guys are complaning about when your trucks are breaking down.

Intake= Stay stock, point already covered in previous post.
Exhaust= MBRP 3.5" downpipe; Helping the EGTs drop is a good thing.
Tuner= SCT; Hands down the best you can do for mild-to-wild performance.
Covers= MagHytec; Damn expensive but if you want extra fluid they help.
Coolers= Stay stock; Stockers are always being bought up on EBAY.
By-pass filters= Oil- Any quality brand (Oil Guard, Amzoil, FS-2500) are worth their cost. Coolant- DieselSite coolant filter kit; Keeps the junk out.

There are other things you can do but you stipulated "no codes". While the SCT will prevent those codes, digest the above and ask any questions if you need to clarify anything.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay to clarify SCT is the tuner, but the custom tunes are sold by several different companies. If you want to learn more about custom tuning with the SCT call Innovative Diesel or Elite Diesel. They can explain the benefits of using the SCT.

MarkFJ40

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've got an 03 with the 6.0 and 215,000kms.
It has a 4" exhaust, K&N intake, and a Hypertech.
It will totally destroy my 08 with a 6.4 and an Edge w/Attitude programmer.
I would recomend a custom tune over an off the shelf tuner.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58