06 f350SD PSD RUST IN FUEL SYSTEM??

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, where in WI are you, and where do you live. I'm in the Wausau/ Marathon City/ Edgar area... welcome to the site! :welcome3

I can't figure out either how the algae would get past the filter unless it plugged it so bad and then actually collapsed it enough to unseal it and allow the junk to pass through... never heard of that happening on a 6.0 before though. :confused:

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Live and fueled in WI at reputable station. Transfer tank has a trnasfer pump and has been pretty much empty since March 07' then filled for this trip.

Is it possible that the Aux tank doesn't go completely empty and algi grew in fuel. Filled and algi floats? Then when tank started getting near empty it pumped that through to main and then the rest of the system and be mistaken for rust?

how long does fuel have to sit for algi to grow?

Most transfer tanks dont get compleatly empty and it usualy takes a while for alge to form (but it could happen in 8 months). I have seen pumps or pick up tubes that rust internaly when not used very often but even that is a strech (try an external mount filter on the pump). None of it explains how it got past 2 fuel filters I would think you would notice a performance problem before thay where cloged enuff to colapse. How often do you change the filters?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree... for it to wipe 2 filters out I'd think you'd have seen some indication that something was out of whack long before all this happened...

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
One month is more than enough time for algae to grow, especially with an empty tank all summer....heating and cooling of the air inside causes condensation, then the little diesel thats there is a feeding frenzy for microbes.

Large tanks should be treated with biocide if not being used for an extended period.

As far as it getting past the filter....it collapsed according to the dealer. I'm actually AMAZED at what gets by substandard filtration in older pumps that we get in.

06f350sd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the truck is only 1.5 yrs old and 19K miles. I have not changed the filters yet, was waiting for 20K mile servicing.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know here in Florida we have a big problem with water in the fuel, because in mid-state like Orlando Fuel is pumped from Tampa to Orlando in a pipe line. They also pump gas in that same line so they flush the line with water for the next grade fuel or gas. I don’t buy fuel over there.

Theres some stuff we use down here that’s works great on cleaning up the tank and making it look like new. I'll see if I can find the name and post it. But your going to need to pull that transfer tank and clean it out and the main tank.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the name it's called "Marine Clean".
One of my buddys (Terry) did this write up on it.
The cleaning agent, "Marine Clean". Dilute with HOT water, and biodegradeable. Not harsh on the hands, doesn't discolour paint, cleans like the dickens. REALLY cleans, incredible. I did the process twice, the second time I put a bunch of different size SS wood screws inside & sloshed them around, they scraped all the jump off. Thought I fell for some advertising hype when I got it, but likely be using this cleaner (vs spray can degreaser) in the future.

"Fuel Tank Sealer". Hard slick coating. Settles great and bonds awesome.

The middle part is like ospho, changes the rust to metal, not sure you have to use theirs called "Metal Ready", but it works just like opsho. Their stuff isn't cheap, they use this stuff on Yacht.

I have pics but there on another site. I can post them if it's cool with you guys.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
I dont think I would go that long (months or miles) between fuel filter changes.

i wanna say dealer told my 15k or less:sweet

maybe he got some left-over sunoco(nascar) fuel...:roflmao

sorry, this is not a funny issue but i could not help it..it sounds expensive

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58