07 6.0 Vibrations at Idle

DrLo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 07 6.0 liter has a vibration at idle. When the engin is speeded up, it seems to go away. The truck has 16000 miles on it, never hauled or pulled any loads and is as new. The dealer is unable to determine the cause but does agree it has a vib problem. He has changed motor and trans mounts, no help. Frequency measurements haven't been taken but vibs seem to be fairly high freq, not a single cyclinder type vib. You can actually look at the trans fluid filter (forward passenger side underneath) shaking. The truck runs and shifts fine. I think the dealer may be going to seperate motor and trans, crank the engine to determine if it is engine or trans. Any and all help welcome.

Well, the trans is out, cranked it and no vibs. Now to determine what is wrong with trans assembly.

A new torque converter fixed this problem. Thanks to all to offered help.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is a new one. Never heard of that here, or anywhere else. Let us know how it comes out.

Dave

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of; and it's of course just a guess, is torsional vibration. Is it a fluidamper gone bad or out of balance? I know they sell a performance viscous fluid damper that they claim improves torsional vibration, thus performance. Like Dave said, this is the first I've heard of this on this forum. Just wait, I'm sure someone in the know will jump in here soon. Good luck, let us know.

Gus Johnson Ford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Couple of other things -- if you have a bad injector, it will cause an engine miss which will cause a vibration, but I would think the dealer would have picked that up. The other thing, if you have had your oil changed recently and someone over filled it, this will cause a noticable vibration that is almost impossible to find the source of. Strange as it may sound, check the engine oil level.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
ok this one may seem stupid but.... i had this on my 03 and now my brother on his 05.... if you have an aftermark downpipe (4inch) check and see if it's rubbing... because for some reason on my old one and his 05 at higher rpms it didn't rub and you couldn't feel it but as soon as the rpms were down you feel it.. especially at idle... just a thought.. if you don't have an aftermark downpipe then completely ignore everything i just said haha.. good luck

ps it wouldn't hurt to check either way

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58