Question '08 F350 Front Brakes

RoyRogers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
At 8000 miles and doing tire rotation I'm wanting to inspect the brake calipers/rotors while wheel is off. Are there any known problems or maintainance I need to know about? I don't expect much brake pad wear.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Nothing out of normal for disc brakes. Make sure the pads are wearing evenly on both pads.

Dave

08SuperDiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When you have it jacked up, see if you can spin the wheel (with it on). I remember a thread on here where guys' brakes were sticking and they could not spin the wheel. I think it was titled "Check your brakes"

frozenrotors

Frozen Rotors
Reaction score
I would concur with all of the above. Make sure the emergency brake isn't engaged while the truck is in the air, and your rotating the wheels and tires ! Look for signs of "pad smear" and "heat checking" on the face of the rotors. Obviously, look for any signs of leaking on and around the calipers. The rotors should rotate freely, with a minimal effort by hand. The comment above in regards to the brakes sticking, may have been a caliper piston that was frozen or stuck in place. This is usually caused by old or contaminated brake fluid (water in the brake fluid). Heat cracking is generally caused by prolonged exposure to heat, and can be identified by small hair line cracks developing on the rotors face. This is common when a piston is not returning all the way into the caliper,or the driver is riding the brake pedal with light pedal pressure...YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ! Also check your brake fluid level, and top off if necessary. If everything checks out as outlined, you should be ready for many more trouble free miles.

Keith

[email protected]

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58