08 f450 super duty question

catch03

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have been with d-max for a while i came from fords back in 2001 alot of tranny problems i just bought the new 07.5 chevrolet dually but i really like the 08 f450 i have not driven one but man it looks good the reason i am with gm i my granddad was a employee i will try to get a supplier discount after my 6 month retintion runs out i tow a 40ft 16000lb fifth wheel have any of you driven the 450 and how is the new set up working i want to get some input before taking the plunge mybe the bug will get worked out oh and fuel milage thanks

recurveman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here's my advice. I've got a 2004 2500HD D/A, a 1999 F550 crew cab 7.3 (for sale as of Thursday), and a brand new 08 F450(purchased Thursday).

I pull a horse trailer with the first two trucks. My trailer weighs in at around 20-22K depending on horses and water, ect.......The trailer is quite a bit more than the 2500 should pull but it doesn't do to bad considering. The 550 pulls it great but no land speed records. I've got a buddy that pulls the same size trailer as mine with his new 450 and he said it pulls it like my 550 with a bit more power.

Now for the advice. You are a tad over on weight but not bad. The 3500 will do the job with room left to spare. If I had your truck and trialer I would stay with what I have and let them get a year or two under their belt before I purchased a 450. If I had your truck and my trialer I would probably not have bought a 450 the other day. Basically the only reason I did was for the 4X4.

Now let me tell you about the 450!!!!!!!!! They are SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They turn great. Super roomy. Well thought out. When I turned it on the only reason I knew it was a diesel is because of the glow plug light that was on for about half a second. It is SUPER quiet. Great truck if it stays together. The only downside is the truck feels like it doesn't have much pick up or power. I think the new restrictions are hand cuffing these new diesels.

All in all you are pretty much set as you are. If you decide to get a 450 it will just cost you a bit of money. Mine set me back 53K.

Later,

Chad

catch03

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info mine with the emmisions still feels like the 06 d-max keep me posted on your 450 how good it does thanks again

recurveman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just got back from my first trip with the 08 F450. I have to say that I'm really impressed with the truck. I went up and down some 6% grades and it handled it with no problem. It is the first time I felt comfortable while pulling my trialer. I stopped at the scale and my rig weighed in at 28,600 pounds. I wasn't loaded to the max but I had a good load for sure.

The only downside is the MPG. It sucks the fuel like no other. Other than that the 450 is an awesome vehicle.

Later,

Chad

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
28.600 is a nice load for the 450, so what was the mpg's on this trip?

catch03

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i am only getting 8mpg with the new d-max in the new body style truck have any of you guy experinced any smell due to the emmisions my truck smells like propane when it gets hot and you come to a stop making want to trade for something else so let me know feeling it out right now

recurveman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting about 7.5 mpg. I didn't think that was all that bad considering I didn't have much of anything that was flat. My engine isn't broke in yet and my F550 (7.3) on it's best day got 9.25 mpg on supper flat ground. So all in all the mileage was about what I expected. It is just poor but there is no way of getting around it. I got to say that when I bought the truck not once did I ask what the MPG's were going to be. It would be nice to get more miles per gallon but getting there safely was truely my only concern and this is the truck that will do the trick.

Later,

Chad

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
how's that turning radius, the 450 is supposed to turn around sharper than a 250 i heard ? ?

recurveman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It turns great!!!!

Just got back from another trip and ended up getting 7.5 MPG in the mountains. I was very pleased considering the number of 6% grades I went up and down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58