10 Bolt to 8 Bolt Rims

morempg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Any one know if it is possible to change the old Super Duty 10 Bolt dually type front rotors to the 8 bolt single rear wheel type with the old 6.5" bolt spacing? I have the a straight front axle from an old Super Duty telephone truck with the 10 bolt rims and I want to convert my o4 Super Duty 4 wheel drive to a 2 wheel drive. I need the 6.5" bolt spacing because I am replacing the rear 3.73 posie axle with a 3.07 axle from a 1990 Dodge 1 ton. If it is not possible to fit this straight axle with the 6.5" bolt spacing I will put the A frame front suspension from a 90 some dodge in it. I know it might sound crazy but I am working toward a 32 mile per gallon truck. Thanks.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
somebody (i forget the name of the company) makes adaptor plates, but the price tag was a little steep, like the not worth it type of steep.

jd87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd come out ahead to sell your truck and buy one that's already 2wd.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
You'd come out ahead to sell your truck and buy one that's already 2wd.

x2

I see guys doing this all the time.. converting 2wd to 4wd and 4wd to 2wd.. and I just gotta ask..

WTF??

the only time this would be worthwhile, is for a commercial vehicle that is only available in one driveline, and the other is needed for a specific application... case in point, the SuperDuty Ambulance van... I've seen those converted to 4wd for access to remote area's in inclement weather..

morempg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think in most cases you would be better off getting another truck. I am building a special kind of truck with a 5.9 Cummins engine and a 1990 Dodge 1 ton rear end with a (hard to find) 3.07 gear. I made my own adapter to mount a ZF 6 speed to the Cummins. With most adapters you need to cut the trans case but with this one it is not necessary. I believe I will be able to get 32 MPG with this combination. If not I will add another trans behind the 6 speed. I know its hard to believe but right now I get 28.5 MPG on the highway with my old 1997 Dodge 2500 with 5 speed and the 6.9 cummins. With my 1990 - 7.3 with a 5 speed trans 4.10 gear I am lucky to get 16 MPG.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58