10w-30 ?

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard some chatter about running 10-30 in our 6.0's on some boards but never paid attention. Today at work I asked the lead tech in charge of the semis, cranes, steam shovels etc what oil they use. straight 30wt diesel oil. Kind of threw me off. I expected 15-40 "brand X". I even asked him, isn't 30wt a bit thin for HD semi's pulling huge loads and running in the dead of FL summer? he said no. they run it year round. So that got me thinking.... why am I running thicker oil in my grocery getter than the semi's hauling 80K of steel? Or cranes and bull dozers that work very hard.... Ford Motorcraft Oil even has a 10w-30 "diesel oil". Is anyone running it? pros/cons? opinions?

AK HDM

Reaction score
Most of the engine manufacturers recommend multi-viscosity oils for their newer engines. Detroit Diesel recommends only straight weight oil for the 2-stroke engines. Cat & Cummins used to use straight weight oil years ago, before the multi-weights were perfected.
Ford only recommends 10w-30 for colder temps than what your likely to see in Tampa. I would use 15w-40, especially if you are towing. I use 15w-40 year around & have for years.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then theres the 5w-40 topic. In my 07 owners book, the 5-30 is below the 10-30, making the 5-40 used in colder climates even than 10-30. but supposedly MC is making 5w-40 syn diesel oil now, and is "recomended for the 6.4".

AK HDM

Reaction score
I worked for a company that uses 5w-40 Mobil Delvac synthetic in all their engines year around. They have had good luck with it. I never saw any engine failures that were caused by the oil. I know that synthetic oils have a lower pour point. I think Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic's pour point is around
-40*. Personally, I would use the synthetic if my rig had to set out in the cold without either running or plugged in [with an oil pan heater], in sub zero temps for more than a few hours. There are the claims that synthetics help the fuel mileage. It would have to make a substantial increase to justify the cost ,JMO.
Mike

Boston James

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Our Ford dealership is telling us to put 10w30 in the 6.0l year round. I think they seem to think this is helping some of the injector issues.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.... I think oil should be chosen for the engine and temps... not to try and put a band-aid on something else....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14