Question 12v wiring question

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I do plan on putting at least a 10amp fuse in-line on the power side.

I was checking out some 12v accessories on an RV website and they had all kinds of goodies that just run on a 12v outlet like we have in our trucks. They even had a 12v pizza cooker.

Wouldn't a regular 12v outlet run those types of goodies, if I wanted to use it for something like that?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do plan on putting at least a 10amp fuse in-line on the power side.

I was checking out some 12v accessories on an RV website and they had all kinds of goodies that just run on a 12v outlet like we have in our trucks. They even had a 12v pizza cooker.

Wouldn't a regular 12v outlet run those types of goodies, if I wanted to use it for something like that?

Sure would Stephan but depending on what it does and how many Amps it/they pull to do it, is the key. JMO but I don't put much trust in Fords wiring anymore.. they've gone to some purdy light weight stuff... Gauge Wise, and how far you need to go (volt drop) to power things up too.

Anything with a heating element to it needs 10 ga. minimum, IMO. Most all 12v accessories will tell you what wire size is recommended, amp draw, run time and the like.

And then based on that.. you need to consider how long yer Batteries will last too.. The Draw time ?

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I do have a 1 gauge lead that comes from my batteries all the way to the back of the truck.

I could just run a 8 or 10 gauge wire from that with a fuse in-line.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a 1 gauge lead that comes from my batteries all the way to the back of the truck.

I could just run a 8 or 10 gauge wire from that with a fuse in-line.

Not sure, on an 06 Bama.

But having said that.. I've allways pulled my own wire for anything I've added... that has any demand or load to it. That way, You would know where You tapped it from, where You ran it and exactly what it powers up.

I added a fuse block (4) near the Starter Solenoid and ran 8 gauge wire up under the windshield cowl, in to the Cab to a 30amp rated switch, then down the firewall and along the D-side frame rail, following and using Fords wire loom and hangers. Wire tyed here & there to keep it neat. Powers up a 3 receptical accessory plug-in in the Bed Box and then back to supply 12v primary power to the Aux back-up lights (controlled by a relay tapped into Fords back-up light circuit). Then it's connected to the center pin on the, in the bed and bumper,trailor plugs... to provide power to some things on my 5r & Boat.

Make any sence.. follow my drift ??

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I ran the 1 gauge leads myself Joe (sorry, I made it sound like it was already there from Ford)

I ran it for my winch I had on my car carrier trailer. I use it now for my jumper cables.
Freaks people out when I back upto there car instead of pull up to their car.

I was thinking I could jump off of that for power to my 12v plug.

Makes sence, now hurry up and get out here to help me wire this thing up when my receptacle comes in. ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the 1 gauge leads myself Joe (sorry, I made it sound like it was already there from Ford)

I ran it for my winch I had on my car carrier trailer. I use it now for my jumper cables.

Makes sence, now hurry up and get out here to help me wire this thing up when my receptacle comes in. ;tu

WOW :lmao:lmao

I was git'n into it :eek::lmao :sorry

Yer good to go.. tap from that ? No Worries..

Joe

(Maybe someone else can use my Ramblings ????)

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score

That is a kool receptacle.......I have one like it in the front grill of my truck.

How are you going to tie into it? Going from 1/0 to 10ga is kind of awkward.

Is the 1/0 fused at the battery?

While you have enough wire to carry the amps to that point.....heaters and hot plates have quite a bit of draw.........hope you don't run your batteries down and get stranded.

Tbar

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
That is a kool receptacle.......I have one like it in the front grill of my truck.

How are you going to tie into it? Going from 1/0 to 10ga is kind of awkward. Well, I cut the power lead (red) at the bed to run my air compressor when I hooked it up on the frame. I have that fused.

Is the 1/0 fused at the battery? No, it runs straight off the pass. side battery. I have been thinking of installing a battery isolator to keep from running both batteries down if I start using some power accessories in the future.

While you have enough wire to carry the amps to that point.....heaters and hot plates have quite a bit of draw.........hope you don't run your batteries down and get stranded.

Tbar

THIS is what I would love to have. A little more money than I can spare to spend right now though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14