1450 On Pyrometer

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe this thread should be in the racing section. but i was on the freeway and a F350 7.3L blew smoke at me in traffic, so naturally it was on. when the area was cleared we took off. i dont recall how long we were going(1 to 3 minutes), but i looked at my gauges on boost was up, tranny was fine, egt's 1450 NOT GOOD. so i let off. and was taking it easy for 3 days. 2 nights ago while slowing down to a stop. the truck jerked to a stop then the overdrive ligth flashed twice and went off. the overdrive flashes once every once in a while. it seems to shift fine. in getting the fluid and filter changed today. i was wondering about possible turbo damage.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
It all depends on how long you were at that temp as to whether or not you damaged the turbo and/or pistons. I'm hoping that's a preturbo reading for your sake.

The OD light flashing has nothing to do with anything but the tranny itself. The light lets you know there's something wrong with the tranny and that there are codes present. Get the codes pulled and post them.

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is preturbo, i was at that temperature no longer than 3 (from start to finish) minutes. ill pull the codes tonight thanks.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
1450 is not recommended for 3 seconds let alone 3 minutes but you are not the first one to get away with it. Don't let it happen again:nono: Like Budro said get the codes pulled out of the tranny to find out why the light is coming on.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can run 1400-1500-1600-2000 for a few seconds... Drag racing truck pulls, a quick pass while pulling... The biggest thing is if your truck is heat soaked at the time.

What that means is have you been pulling a trailer for the last 30 minutes and the pyro has been at 1100-1200, you have about ( and this is not garantied) 10-15 seconds before you will hurt the PISTONS. Keep this in mind, your watching EGT's to protect the PISTIONS not the turbo... The turbo could take 2000 all day and not hurt anything. If you have been just cruising around town at 600-800 you could jump to 1400 for 30-40 seconds and not hurt a thing.

I will bet you have not hurt a thing because the EGT's were not there that long and you were not pulling.

The OD light could be a speed sensor (very common) or any number of tranny issues.

I have seen 1800 on my egt at the end of a 1/4 run and still pull 12000+ every day...

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i picked up the truck from the shop today after the tranny service. the tech said no codes were present when he scanned it. i drove the truck for about 2 hours last night. everything seems to be fine with no lights. but i will take it easy for awhile. thanks for the input.

uncool

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I won't be the first to tell you not to do that but I don't have a leg to stand on because I am guilty also. Unloaded I usally don't look at the pyro much, when towing that is another story, keep it low and be happy. Also need to change nozzles on injectors to lower it a little more. As it was said, if you hurt it, you would know right away.

Just got mine to stay below 1450 most of the time about 2 months ago. Its amazing what a turbo change will do to the EGT's when it flows some air.

Tony's HOT program used to hang the needle straight down on the 1600 degre pyro! (~1800 to 1900)

AIR IS NICE!:thumbs

Marc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58