15lbs boost normal?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my trucks stock,i finally got a boost gauge.when im cruisin it shows pretty much nothing.once i get around 2k rpms it starts building,then it gets to about 15psi when i get close to 3k rpms.2700 to 2900 rpms i would say,then i shift.i was just testing my boost,i dont always drive like that:D .should i have more when im just cruisin between 1500- 1900.peak tq is at like 2000rpms right?so shouldnt max boost be there as well to build that tq?:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Unloaded just highway cruising with a stock truck you are right in the ball park. I think 17 was near max for a stock 7.3L of your vintage. It should run around 5 or 6 lbs when you are just doing 65mph on the highway.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unloaded just highway cruising with a stock truck you are right in the ball park. I think 17 was near max for a stock 7.3L of your vintage. It should run around 5 or 6 lbs when you are just doing 65mph on the highway.

cool,thanks for the quick reply,im gonna run her on the highway tomorrow morning on my way to work to see if im running those numbers.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
should i have more when im just cruisin between 1500- 1900.peak tq is at like 2000rpms right?so shouldnt max boost be there as well to build that tq?:dunno

I wanted to touch on this so you dont get misinformed. Yes, you should be at peak boost in about the range where our engines make peak TQ/HP. However, it takes fuel to make boost and if youre not calling for fuel to keep the engine at 2200 rpm's then you wont be building boost either, this would be an idle condition which is where your truck is pretty much at while cruising highway speeds with no load. Now then, toss a 15,000 lb trailer behind her and she needs all kinds of fuel to maintian that same 2200 rpm and now you will see boost build.

It's a very common theme for a guy to throw a boost gauge on his rig and then start the truck and rev it up and come back and say... "my truck doesnt build boost, whats wrong?"

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are about right. Mine will normally hit 18 under full throttle with fiver in tow, have hit 20 a couple of times. Usually runs about 4 at 70 mph (2450 rpm). Cheers!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I'm seeing 14-15 max boost readings but why then do those with stock setups with a handshaker are getting readings in the mid-20s?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing 14-15 max boost readings but why then do those with stock setups with a handshaker are getting readings in the mid-20s?

Cuz you loose some Mechanical Advantage, Thru the Torque Converter. A Fluid Coupling.

A Handshaker is Directly Connected, Mechanical-wise.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a very common theme for a guy to throw a boost gauge on his rig and then start the truck and rev it up and come back and say... "my truck doesnt build boost, whats wrong?"

:lmao thats funny you said that,as soon as i got it hooked up,i fired it,and started revving it up,it hardly moved.so i thought to things,either the line is pinched or i have something wrong or loose.then i thought that i better take her around the block and make sure.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there anyway to adjust the turbo.i would like to make it spool up alittle earlier if possible.also does the 10 k mod increase boost any?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14