1800 mile trip on 07 observations

My427stang

USAF Lunatic
Reaction score
Well, took the 07 on a road trip from VA to FL, 1800 miles round trip.

Here is what I found:

- 17.9 mpg per the dash display, hand calculated between 17.6 and 17.8 every time over 1800 miles.

- That was about 3-5 mph over the speed limit everywhere, on cruise control, with about 500 lbs in the back and 3 people

- This wasnt a mileage test, just observations of the first run. The reason I say that was 1st tank had B20 Biodiesel mixed with #2. 2nd and third tank were LSD #2 sold in FL. I havent done a mileage run on clean #2. Biodiesel was the worst at 17.6, the others all were a couple points higher

- Speed limits were mostly 70, but some brief periods of 60-65 and some 75-80 but very rare

- My 2002 in the same run got 20+ mpg, but it had Jody's 80 hp tune, a 4 inch turbo back, 40K miles on it, less weight, and a zoodad helping it out. I dont think this truck will get there without the same type of mods even when it breaks in

- Didnt burn a drop of oil, and after 2K miles, the oil still looks like honey

- The 6.0 stock is soft on the bottom end and seems to have a less sensitive throttle pedal (meaning more foot travel). Not describing a torque issue here, more like actual movement to effect of the pedal itself. Maybe aftermarket tuning can change fly by wire response rate a little?

- The cruise on the 6.0 doesnt hold a speed as well as the 2002 7.3, its sort of a 5 mph window, it'll exceed and drop below slightly, not in all cases, but seems to play catch up if its slowing down and then has to recover due to a bridge or small hill. I expect that will be worse with 10K on the bumper

- The tranny is certainly good, but I want it to definitely shift much harder and maybe get into 5th gear quicker once I get the motor a little stronger

- I dont particularly like the 20 inch rubber, lots of road feel IMHO, although it could be the new steering design too, however, the coil spring suspension seems very nice. It could use a bit more shock though

My game plan still stands, mild program equiv to Jody's 80 hp 7.3 tune with a good no kidding hard-hitting hot rod tranny program included should get it there, then a zoodad and some exhaust work it should be pretty enjoyable. I think some more tip in fuel and a little less exhaust and intake restriction should get the boost moving fast enough to offset the lack of torque

I know I'll get a bunch of big "duuuuh" comments for this, but my internally stock 7.3 with an exhaust and Jody's 80 HP tune, will eat my bone stock 6.0 for lunch............for now

Any building tunes, got an opinion for a guy that lives at 2200 rpm or less most of the time?

Also, you think a kitty exorcism would help down low?

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
- My 2002 in the same run got 20+ mpg, but it had Jody's 80 hp tune, a 4 inch turbo back, 40K miles on it, less weight, and a zoodad helping it out. I dont think this truck will get there without the same type of mods even when it breaks in.

You will NEVER see the mileage a 7.3 gets with all the mods available. I tried. Mid 17's are about tops for a 6.0 where my 2000 7.3 did 20-21 easily.

- The 6.0 stock is soft on the bottom end and seems to have a less sensitive throttle pedal (meaning more foot travel). Not describing a torque issue here, more like actual movement to effect of the pedal itself. Maybe aftermarket tuning can change fly by wire response rate a little?

Found that on every 6.0 i have ever driven, Especially the 6 speeds like i have. Mine was flat out dangerous to cross an intersection with until i did a few mods. Still is not like a stock 7.3 until you hit about 1500RPM and then HANG ON!!!

- The cruise on the 6.0 doesnt hold a speed as well as the 2002 7.3, its sort of a 5 mph window, it'll exceed and drop below slightly, not in all cases, but seems to play catch up if its slowing down and then has to recover due to a bridge or small hill. I expect that will be worse with 10K on the bumper.

Gotta love how it "PUNCHES" the engine when you try to set it eh?? 5 dealers have told me this is normal. It SUCKS IMHO.....

- The tranny is certainly good, but I want it to definitely shift much harder and maybe get into 5th gear quicker once I get the motor a little stronger.

Glad i got the 6 speed even though it sucks off the line. At highway speeds it stays where i put it!!!

- I dont particularly like the 20 inch rubber, lots of road feel IMHO, although it could be the new steering design too, however, the coil spring suspension seems very nice. It could use a bit more shock though.

Why did Ford have to do that anyhow?? Those damn tires are almost 1/2 as much more as the 16's.............

My game plan still stands, mild program equiv to Jody's 80 hp 7.3 tune with a good no kidding hard-hitting hot rod tranny program included should get it there, then a zoodad and some exhaust work it should be pretty enjoyable. I think some more tip in fuel and a little less exhaust and intake restriction should get the boost moving fast enough to offset the lack of torque.

It will not do much for the bottom end but the mid range will be WOW!!

I know I'll get a bunch of big "duuuuh" comments for this, but my internally stock 7.3 with an exhaust and Jody's 80 HP tune, will eat my bone stock 6.0 for lunch............for now.

I'll agree with you there after owning 4 7.3's. If you would have said that at TDS you would be labeled a liar and a troll............

Also, you think a kitty exorcism would help down low?

It will help your mileage by about 1/4 mpg and the low end very little. Good luck with her, You don't want my luck. I suppose after 4 good 7.3's i deserve a pile of chit though...........

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
The cruise on the 6.0 doesnt hold a speed as well as the 2002 7.3, its sort of a 5 mph window, it'll exceed and drop below slightly, not in all cases, but seems to play catch up if its slowing down and then has to recover due to a bridge or small hill. I expect that will be worse with 10K on the bumper

take her back
mine is pretty dead one one click on coast and i loose 1 mph
same for speeding up
its so smooth i tow the fiver with cruise on near 80% of the time

as for take offs

dont JAM the throttle
instead roll into in smoothly and steadily she will JUMP
the ecm will cut fuel if you dump the throttle and you get a very dangerous DELAY then snap your off rolling

mpg empty for us with 4.30's is 15 at 76-80
11 pulling the fiver

My427stang

USAF Lunatic
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. The more I drive it in town, the more I get used to the torque curve, its a actually a good running motor now that I am getting used to it.

I'll talk to them about the cruise control, it is a bit of a PIA

I see the 20 inchers are bringing upwards of 2 GRAND on Ebay, I am really tempted to buy some take-off 18's LOL

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
funny you should mention that about the cruise control... mine's drunk most of the time. if i'm rolling along constant speed, then I hit the set accel, and take my foot off the pedal, I'll loose about 5-7 mph, then it comes back and overshoots by like 10 mph, then kinda settles out about 2 mph fast. Not all the time though. asked the dealer and got a blank stare with the head twist, kinda like what a dog does when it's confused or thinking.

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
I've noticed the same cruise problem on mine. Did they change the cruise control system so that it doesn't cause the trucks to spontaneously combust anymore in the driveway when the truck is not even running? I was going to drive mine a little more so I could be sure

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the 20 inchers are bringing upwards of 2 GRAND on Ebay, I am really tempted to buy some take-off 18's LOL

better do some checking on the appropriate load rated 18s or 20's...
there arent many E rated 18s out there...and even less in the 20inch
category.

I've noticed the same cruise problem on mine. Did they change the cruise control system so that it doesn't cause the trucks to spontaneously combust anymore in the driveway when the truck is not even running? I was going to drive mine a little more so I could be sure

the cruise control related fires/recall i THINK was tied to f150s <only...but that part im 100% on>...what i AM certain of is that it was related to gassers ONLY, NOT diesels...

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Seems it takes as long to set the cruise as does the whole trip. You would think with these things be controlled by a puter that it whould be spot on when you set it.

Deviant Diesel

Sooting 1 jerk @ a time!
Reaction score
There are plenty of E rated tires out there in 18 and 20 inch sizes. Toyo, Nitto, Yokohoma, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Goodyear, Continental and more all make an E rated tire in big inch wheels. There are a few 22 and 24 inch tires now as well, not that you'd be doin a whole lot, if any, heavy hauling with rims that size.

My427stang

USAF Lunatic
Reaction score
I havent decided yet if I like the 20's. I am on the fence. They look OK, but not really "truck like" They handle an on ramp better than a taller sidewall tire would though, we'll see, I would suspect less flex with a trailer on the back.

I am going to throw them on the balancer myself when I rotate them and see what they look like now that they have some miles on them. They seemed to have flat spots or out of balance when I bought the truck, but either I got used to it, or they shook themselves round LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14