18K Mod & Oil Leak

y2kpsd

Member #11
Reaction score
My buddy had a very bad oil leak on his 02' Powerstroke after installing the 18K Mod. It turned out to be the HPOP rings & oil pump gaskets. My question is could the 18K mod have caused this problem? The stealership is very mod friendly and the warranty covered the repair (26,000 miles). It is my understanding that this mod increases the oil pressure and in turn increases the HP some how. Is this a fact? My buddy says this 18K mod makes a big difference in performance when he uses it but now he's afraid to use it for fear of doing the same damage again. I thought about installing it on my truck but changed my mind after all his problems.

What do you guys think. Does anyone out there have any experience with this 18K mod?

Y2KPSD

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The 18K (or 10K, depending on resitor used, some have even used a 5K) mod uses a resistor to fool the PCM into thinking that the HPO is putting out a low pressure so it kicks it up a notch. It is literally a 5 cent modification (parts available at your local Radio Shack) that takes about 15 minutes to install, I have seen dyno sheets that purport gains of 25 hp and 50 ft lbs tq with this mod installed. I dont think the oil leak was a direct result of the 18K mod, the o-rings and gaskets may have already been weak and waiting for a reason to go.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have dyno sheets for my truck that showed a 30hp and 100ft/lb increase over stock. That was with a regular old 10k resistor.

Agreed. I have never seen a 10k mod CAUSE a problem. However I have seen them be the final straw on a WEAK hpop or o-rings.

The IPR has an internal 4000psi popoff valve. The powerstroke runs around 2500psi on the high end, so that means there is about a 1500 psi "buffer" that we can tap into. I think the stock system should be able to handle that.

y2kpsd

Member #11
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I dont think the oil leak was a direct result of the 18K mod, the o-rings and gaskets may have already been weak and waiting for a reason to go.
Ford_Forgotton said:
Agreed. I have never seen a 10k mod CAUSE a problem. However I have seen them be the final straw on a WEAK hpop or o-rings.

Thanks guys. My buddy has a Bullydog chip and drives the hell out of his truck. I have to agree that it was indeed the "final straw" on a WEAK hpop or o-rings. I don't foresee that mod in my future.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The Bullydog chip is already increasing the HPO output, so without the 18K mod he has increased oil pressure by virtue of the chip.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
y2kpsd said:
I have to agree that it was indeed the "final straw" on a WEAK hpop or o-rings. I don't foresee that mod in my future.

Dont give up on the 10k mods without at least giving them a try first. For the 99 cents you pay at radioshack for a 10k resistor, its hard not to play at least once.

The GOOD NEWS is, you can get the ICP connectors (both male AND female) at the parts store. This way the whole "shove wire into connector" crap can go away.

I've been sitting on the part numbers for a little while but I think its time to spread the wealth.

Its a "3-wire" temp sensor for a 93-97 LT1/LT4 vette.

GM part number: 10096181 PCM/Gauge sending unit (temp sensor)(Male end)
GM part number 12102748 Connector pigtail (incl. terminals)(Female end)

Have the parts store cross the GM numbers to whatever they stock. Its about 15 bucks per part (total of 30 bucks) but if you call around you can get them cheaper.

Basically, you GUT the 3-wire temp sensor in order to get the "male" plug off of the rest of the unit, and solder the wires from the FEMALE pigtail onto the male plug you just ripped apart. Install your "10k" mod of your choice between the two connectors. Install into your truck.

John Deere

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have the 5K mod on my '02 hooked to a switch and a potentiometer, so I can turn it on and run it from 5K to 15K, the 5k mod has added more power than my 70 hp chip has. As far as hp gains, we all know how the seat of the pants dyno works, so I won't venture a guess.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been hunting for those two connectors since I bought my truck. Sean @ sp-diesel found a source, but wouldnt tell me and was charging like 50-60 bucks for them. I helped bill @ blackcloud with the FEMALE half (found via DELPHI part numbers) but delphi doesnt sell the MALE half.

Then one day someone was working on a LT-1 motor and noticed the water temp sensor was the same male plug as our ICP sensor, and for about 15 bucks compared to the 100 or so for an ICP sensor!

I was blessed with the info, and kept it quiet for a shortwhile out of consideration to the source as they wanted to get in on SP's marketshare of the 10k mods.

But, I have never hid that I dont like vendor versions of stuff you can do yourself at home, so.... THERE IT IS!! Your own 10k/18k, Edge-EZ, SP Stage-1 mod with the right plugs!!

For my next trick, Im going to find out whats involved in doing the "joe servo IDM mod" and post that for public consumption. Should piss a few ppl off!!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
For my next trick, Im going to find out whats involved in doing the "joe servo IDM mod" and post that for public consumption. Should piss a few ppl off!!

I dont know if you followed the thread at the other place but that got pretty heated over there. There are several guys digging into the IDM right now and I suspect a hack fairly soon at a substantially lower price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58