18K Mod & Oil Leak

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I dont know if you followed the thread at the other place but that got pretty heated over there. There are several guys digging into the IDM right now and I suspect a hack fairly soon at a substantially lower price.

Really? I remember the "discussion" and ppl were getting pissed the "MOD" was getting so expensive. Also, I think one of the vendors "licensed" the mod and gives Joe a kickback for each one they do.

Its supposed to be a SINGLE PART (most likely a voltage regulator, or similiar voltage control part) and can be done in just minutes.

All that needs to be done is compare a "modded" one to a stock one and run the numbers past a ECG crossreference catalog.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yes, it was just hashed out recently in the 94-97 upgrades forum. Joe finally ended up replying to the thread near the end. You might go and read it, there is some good info and some sharp folks are currently working on it,,,,yes it is a voltage regulator. Bean is also working on one at this time.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just read thru 4 pages of it. Interesting reading. It confirmed my thoughts about what was being done tho. A single voltage regulator chip.

It appears to be a "surface" component, and those are a pain to work with. I know, I modded my AIC to have blue LEDs instead of green, and those are surface mount also. Screwed a trace or two, but was able to fix it.

Doesnt sound like it makes much difference tho.

probear

Whoresetmytitle?
Reaction score
I'm not too fond of either mod as it ups the HP oil pressure, and in some cases can exceed the design limits of several components, including the injectors. I guess it's like any other mod, you play, you pay.
And 'yes', the mod could have caused this problem.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probear said:
I'm not too fond of either mod as it ups the HP oil pressure, and in some cases can exceed the design limits of several components, including the injectors. I guess it's like any other mod, you play, you pay.
And 'yes', the mod could have caused this problem.

The IDM mod has nothing to do with OIL pressure. The IDM mod is the ON/OFF command for the injector solinoid.

The 10k mod does increase HP oil, but 10 YEARS of the 10k mod have netted about..ohhhh a handful of POSSIBLE HPOP/IPR failures. And those happen on NON-MODDED trucks, so its hard to say of the 10k was even directly at fault.

The 10k has its greatest effect at lower RPMs. Say is makes a 20% increase in HP oil pressure. At idle, the truck should be making about 500psi. A 20% increase would have you idling at about 600psi instead.

At the top end, you should be making around 2500psi, 20% over that would be about 3000psi.

The stock IPR bleeds off at 4000psi, so your WELL under the limit of the IPR, and the 2500psi is only a "range" that the injectors operate at.

A slightly higher idle, and a LOPE on decel is about the only downsides to teh 10k. Broken parts is NOT something the 10k mods are known for.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
A slightly higher idle, and a LOPE on decel is about the only downsides to teh 10k

Mine does this.

The stock SD (2002 and up?) HPOP puts out a greater volume of oil at higher pressures and it is going to basically the same injectors? Correct statement or not?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Mine does this.

The stock SD (2002 and up?) HPOP puts out a greater volume of oil at higher pressures and it is going to basically the same injectors? Correct statement or not?

I dont believe the injectors have changed on the 7.3, but I do know there was an HPOP change along the way somewhere. I thought it was earlier tho, like late 99 or 2000. I dont mess with HPOP/IPR/Injectors, so I cant confirm. Only mess with the ICP :D

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I think there is a debate currently raging about the humpback vs. flatback pump from the '02 era IIRC. From what I gather, they are both higher volume pumps that the OBS 7.3's and early SD models as well.

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For my next trick, Im going to find out whats involved in doing the "joe servo IDM mod" and post that for public consumption. Should piss a few ppl off!!

Go for it :thumbs !!!!! I am interested and would pay for it, but im not gonna pay big bucks for JS idm.

Later, Luke

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58