19.5 or 22.5 wheels

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried the Big Rig wheels different dealers are offering for sale....I am tempted to on my 06.....there seems to be (*^% offered in a 17 tire and the ones I have found are at least a $100 more than the 16s on my 04. Plus I'd get 2.5, maybe 4 times the mileage from a set of rubber..I believe I could get a 265x19.5 in the wheelwell without any other modifications..whatcha think? :rolleyes:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
19.5 would probably work, but maybe tight. They use 19.5's on 450's and 550's, but they have alot more ground clearance and suspension

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beware...theres a reason those big rig tires last so long...theyre HARD
as **** (not alot of grip) and they need LOTS of weight on 'em to ride
better....

you CANT have a long wearing tire and a performace (gripping) tire...
its one or the other (give & take)

hugeredford

this ain't no powerstroke
Reaction score
i'm thinking of putting 22.5" on my truck the new SD 4x4 's supposedly clear 255/70-r22.5's w/o any lift 19.5 tires are also very expensive just a thought

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get larger diameter wheels with the same tire diameter you loose sidewall width. It may not seem like a big deal but in an off road situation that sidewall is valuable, especially if you let some of the air out of the tires for traction on sand or loose surfaces. Also, there will be more metal which makes the wheels heavier. That equals reduced milage. Changing the diameter of the wheels, in my opinion, is pointless. There isn't anything to gain from it, only loss.

Regular highway tread patters are rated to about 60,000 miles where all-terrains are usually 20,000. The highway tread usually last longer and the all-terrains sometimes come up short. The all-terrain tread patter is more aggressive and will result in lower gas milage. So you get worse milage and more frequent tire replacements at a higher cost because, oh yeah, they cost more.

If you flip through the magazines you will find that tires that fit on larger wheel diameters cost more as well. So, the way I see it, there is absolutly nothing to gain and everything to loose from larger diameter wheels. Larger diameter tires, I don't think, will add as much weight. So , unless you have money to burn, stick with the stock wheels and a highway tread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14