197k miles synthetic?

racerx250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I

Just got it , month ago, one owner truck, He ownes a tree removal Co. so once in a while he would pull the tree chopper around . He had other trucks that the workers drove, This was his baby. Drove it from Greensboro, NC to NJ/NYC borderline considering I see the GW Bridge and the Hole in the skyline were the WTCenter. RIP was. 1400 miles 1/2 bottle of something kleen fuel additive. Now that Baby is mine! Just wanted to do the right thing!

I know a great deal about the combustion of a gas engine
Intake Compression Power & Exhaust.... still remember wow!

But have no idea what a diesel plant is about.

Will the rings benefit from synthetic? Is it worth. it? I am planning to keep this till I hit Lotto! Time for a poll.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 197k, you must be doing something right. Why change now.

Yep. If it aint Broke, Don't Fix it. Just change oil/filter every 3K. Keep using the Diesel Kleen or, add 16 oz's of 2 Cycle oil for every 25 gal of fuel... (puts some Lubricity back in the ULSC Diesel) you should be "Good To Go" for many more miles:sweet

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont believe youll EVER see your return on investment on synth. oil.
based on the cost difference alone youd have to run synth. oil at LEAST
3x longer than conventional.

theres something to be said for FREQUENT (5k) oil changes.

and theres no way in HELL that id run any oil 3x longer w/OUT
frequent testing of the oil.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
i dont believe youll EVER see your return on investment on synth. oil.
based on the cost difference alone youd have to run synth. oil at LEAST
3x longer than conventional.

theres something to be said for FREQUENT (5k) oil changes.

and theres no way in HELL that id run any oil 3x longer w/OUT
frequent testing of the oil.

I will say this I used to use cheap 99 cent oil from the local auto parts in my gassers. They were constantly launchin' motors keep in mind these trucks are driven as hard as you can imagine I'm talkin' 3000 rpm's for extended periods of time. I switched to amsoil a couple years ago and have severly cut down on engine loss. I don't do analysis or that stuff. Dump it in and go. I will keep using synthetics and pay for oil than motors and labor.

VALKYRIES

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
synthetic oils and grease.

With syn oils they will weep where conventional oils won't. They are about 9 % slippier then conventional oils. I do change 2 or 3 filters with an oil chnge so you are back to the price with the benifits of syn oil. Do some searching on syn oils and then form your own opinion. I did years ago and have about 1 1/2" of papers in a binder that I collected in 85 I even talked to SAE and on gent was very good and sent me more info then I had requested. You should watch for salt contamination from winter driving in your oil so spring oil changes are good. Syns take cold and heat better then your conventional oils.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
The only difference with synthetic oil these days is that it will not break down and carbon your engine. If it was not for the oil deposit from diesel burning it would last forever. Exon rep told me once that the oil will not dirty you filter, Its the deposit from previous conventional oil that washes off and dirties the first oil filter. In a Gas engine he told me that I just leave the synthetic oil in, No change required. I use to run it for 70,000 KM in my last gas truck. and that was a V6 hauling a 24 ft trailer. I had Synthetic in a VW and it lasted 70,000 KM when I discovered that the previous owner had mounted the Main Bearings on the Crank shaft upside down..... (no engine Lub to the rotating assembly other then what leaked between the surfaces)..... I figured the synthetic oil kept the engine going.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14