1996 PSD Fuel Pump

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
I am courious on how the engine driven fuel pump actually works. :confused:

From diagrams that I have seen it appears that the top part pumps it into the filter from the tank, then from the filter it goes thru the bottom of the pump to the heads.

Does the bottom part pump? Is it the high pressure side of the pump? :dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as top and bottom parts I'm not quite sure what you're talking about there are 2 pumps integrated into one and the "low pressure" side pulls from the tank and pushes the fuel through the filter and back to the other side where it is pressurized to fuel rail pressures into the fuel rails via the banjo bolt. Then on the front side of the engine the excess fuel returns to the regulator and then all true excess is diverted back to the fuel tank via the return lines.

As to which part of the pump actually provides the high or low pressure portions of the system I'm not certian. I've got the one I took off of my truck sitting in the garage when I get a chance I'll take it apart and try to figure it out.

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
BJS thanks, you did answer my question. I just didn't state it very well. It is 2 pumps in one, both being driven off the engine. That was the answer I was wanting. :thanks

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh glad to help sorry wasn't exactly sure what the question was :dunno but maybe that's just me being dense today, oh wait that's not just a today thing :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14