Help Needed 1996 PSD Transmission Troubles

imbilljr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 1996 Power Stroke with an automatic transmission. i purchased it with a bad transmission. i bought a ford reman transmission and installed it myself. I blew out the cooler lines forward and back, installed a new upgraded cooler and an installedthe included inline filter for the return line of the transmission. I have put approx. 150 miles on this transmission and its starting to fail again. While driving, it doesn't want to shift gears w/o letting off the gas pedal, the torque converter is staying locked in so when i come to a complete stop the truck will quit unless i put it in neutral. (That isn't happening all the time but often) This is the second reman transmission i have installed. (the first failed in 10 miles) I am wondering if there is anything I can check before another total failure? The fluid was new, of course, and last night I checked it and it was very dark and burnt smelling. I am going to drop the pan, drain all the fluid, blow out the cooling lines again but, I am thinking it is probably bad or sticky silenoids. Any ideas?

By the way, i am in Minnesota and were in the middle of a record snowfall and this is my plow truck.

Last edited:

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
Did you byass the cooler in the radiator? The locking of the torque converter killing the engine could be a sign of a restricted cooler or some miscelanious crud in a solenoid. It is usally also a sign of other worse things to come for the trans. Ford remans are usually ok in these trucks. I have had the best luck with Jasper remans and a banks trans command. I have used a ford unit before with the trans command (about 4 years ago) and its still on the road today in a plow truck.
Ken

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
did you use the new valve body or did you swap the one out of the old unit?

STROKERBO

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How come no one has asked him ?old converter

Did you hopefully , swap out the torque converter?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58