1997 downpipe help

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue. I used a BFH and a prybar to "massage" the floor for clearance. It took me a week of driving and banging until I had finally got it perfect. Keep your head up. It's just passanger legroom, no big deal.

AlaskaRedneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zero, glad to hear you got it in.

And definitly fix it if it is rubbing, that should get rid of the buzzing you are probably hearing.

Best of luck, and cant wait to see photos!-popcorn
-Stouff

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The rubbing may not be DP to firewall, I have seen DP to up-pipe clearance issues before as well. Check there and see if there is contact.

Zero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When you say up-pipe, do you mean the pipe that goes from the exaust manifold to the bottom of the turbo? If so, I have about .5 inch clearance there. That gap should not change as both pipes are mounted or clamped, unless I am missing something.

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
I had a similar noise at shutdown and under certain other conditions after I welded my downpipe. Turned out it had pulled the exhaust forward enough that the inboard side of the hanger after the downpipe was rubbing against it's upper half... They made it so the outboard side has alot more clearance, so I didn't find it right away.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Zero said:
When you say up-pipe, do you mean the pipe that goes from the exaust manifold to the bottom of the turbo? If so, I have about .5 inch clearance there. That gap should not change as both pipes are mounted or clamped, unless I am missing something.
If you have half an inch that should be plenty. I have seen contact in that area on more than one ocassion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl