Question 1997 Fuel leak Coming from under fuel filter

Discussion in '94-97 PowerStroke Engine, Drivetrain & Chassis' started by RickWojo, Feb 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RickWojo

RickWojo SDD Junior Member

Hi,
    There is a spray/stream of diesel fuel coming from under my fuel filter housing shooting back towards the fire wall... I can't see EXACTLY where its coming from right now. Anybody got an answer......... This is my first post, so I apologize if I am not doing something correct with forum postings

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Rick

2. RickWojo

Sorry its my 1997 7.3L

3. guzzle

guzzle SDD Junior Member

If it coming from the bottom, it sounds as if you have corroded a hole through the bowl.

Pull the filter, stand pipe and heater out. Clean out the bottom and look for corrosion that will appear as craters in the bottom. I have seen some as large as a quarter and the bowl becomes thinner towards the center of these craters until a hole develops. The only long term solution is a new fuel bowl.

4. RickWojo

Thank you, I will check/do all that.........

5. rpbfixit

rpbfixit SDD Junior Member

Happened to me on my 12 350. Found a pinhole in the actual filter. Maybe you got one from the same lot as mine..

6. bcvickers

bcvickers SDD Junior Member

There's a whole world of difference between the fuel bowl in the valley of a '97 7.3 and the underhood filter assembly on a '12 6.7.

7. RickWojo

Boy that was one HELL of a job in my opinon........ I also figured while I was there I would replace the Fuel Pump as well....... Well that 1 1/4" bolt such a PIA under the turbo housing.... I had my large wrench moving about a 1/16" of an inch. Boy, what a grueling job....... Anywho, I replaced the fuelbowl and fuel pump on my '97 7.3L PS. I see why they would charge an arm and a leg for that job...... Things were SO SIMPLE on my two Broncos........ LOL :)