1999 7.3L Noise, then smoke!

Locojonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a '99 F250, 6spd manual. The other day going to work, leaving a stop light it started to make a noise I thought was just normal injector chatter, but it got worse until it was a fairly loud knocking/clanking sound. As I was getting out of traffic, the noise went away, but then there was a huge amount of greyish/white smoke from the exhaust. It idled fine, and made no more abnormal noise, but when throttled up, the smoke from the exhaust gets worse. I took it to a local shop, and while they were diagnosing it, we found the crankcase is full of fuel, fuel is coming out of the exhaust, and when we took the oil filler cap off, air was puffing out pretty good.

None of the shops want to touch it, unless I'm ready to spring for a new engine: Do any of you have any ideas what this may be? I was hoping it could be as simple as an injector failure, but haven't decided if I should give the shop the green light if it is something worse.

dpantazis

Reaction score
WAG is a blown injector oring or bad injector.
its really easy to pull the injectors and check them.
if they are pushing a new motor, i would check around for anther shop.

Locojonny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys- I think I'm trying to bench race this to death, because I'm scratching for time to tear into it. I kinda realized how much I like that pick-up when this happened. Even though she thinks it's the best, my wife's Corolla is not my favorite thing to drive. In her words: "it's alot different than your tank, huh?"

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys- I think I'm trying to bench race this to death, because I'm scratching for time to tear into it. I kinda realized how much I like that pick-up when this happened. Even though she thinks it's the best, my wife's Corolla is not my favorite thing to drive. In her words: "it's alot different than your tank, huh?"

Trade the Corolla in on a Beetle TDI... that way, you get the best of both worlds..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14