1999 and 2000 model difference ?

skip584

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at buying either a 99 or 2000 model. I didn't realize there was that much different between the two engines or even these two model years. I have been looking and talking to people and am finding out that there are difference.

If anyone knows what some of these differences are, I would like to know before I go and buy one of these trucks. I plan on doing so modifications later on down the road. Which one is a better platform for modifcations and why. I was told to stay away from the early 99's because of "differences" but was never told what they might be.

Soone said something about a different turbo and y pipe?????
Some one said something about hub differences???
Some one said something about injectors????
Some one said something about connecting rods???
I get alot of advise but there are generally so many people around that I never get a word in edge wise and all of my experts never go one to explain what the heck they are talking about.

This will be my first powerstoke.
I am experience with the old stuff ie.rosamaster and some of the bosh p7100's and vp44 excetra and the older 6.9s but this powerstroke stuff is all new to me.

I just want to know a little bit more before I go out and get one?
Thanks guys.
:dunno :dunno :dunno

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
They changed a few things mid year in 1999. Upgraded air cleaner, and turbo are the only differences I can think of off the top of my head.

With the exception of programing there was not much difference between 1999.5 & 2000........... :dunno

Maybe some one else will chime in with some ideas.

Tbar

Last edited:

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I though I seen the weaker rods cam in 2001 and if you had a 01 it was a crap shot at if you got the good ones or the weaker ones.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
The "weaker rods" can still handle 400 rwhp, the earlier 99.5-2001ish had the forged rod's which can handle up to 500 rwhp.

The Early 99 turbo is smaller, and has what is known as the the "ww" (wicked wheel). It also does not have any intercooler wrap on the up pipe. Most people upgrade the turbo to be on par with the later 99's.

It says your looking for your first SuperDuty... I'd stay away from the first 1 or 2 years of the 6.0. Also, I'd get as few miles on one as new as possible. A 2001 with 75,000 miles is a good choice/find. 2003.5 is the last month the 7.3 was available. Also you owned previous veh's that I'm sure you wrenched on. The 7.3 is easier to work on then the previous and later motor, and since you belong to forums you should be able to diagnose your problems and buy a repair manual and be able to fix alot of things that may go wrong. It sure beats spending $75.00 an hour for a diesel tech to change your CPS, HPOP O rings, or fuel filter lol.

RickGmi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AMEN,
Maintain is right,
I read the first 50 web pages of superdutydiesel.com when i first got mine and I have had a few minor problems and quickly fixed them, just remembered what i read and then when something happen like engine light intermetiatly comming on, pulled 1316 code and new right there what i was looking at, IDM and probably a Loose conector under valve cover, opened it and sure enough, then I remebered something else and had my $0.50 fix..really..2 quarters from the pocket a little grinding and never had problem again..without this site it might have costed a bunch of time and money....there very easy to fix...except somethings can take a little more wrenching but there still easy...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The magic date was 12/8/98. That was the supposed date when they quit building "early 99's" and the "99.5's" started coming off the line.

Some of the changes made included: larger turbo, different pedestal, different uppipes, larger intake plenum, larger intake covers, larger HPOP, larger injectors, addition of an air intake heater and elimination of the catalytic convertor.

The biggest issue when it comes to "enhancements" are in the area of the turbo. If you want to upgrade the turbo, there are no options I'm aware of for an early 99. Any turbo upgrades like a ball bearing turbo or HTPS will require changing the uppipes, exhaust Y-connector, pedestal, intake plenum and intake covers. A few sponsors have an entire "conversion kit" available. Don't get me wrong and think I'm saying the "early 99" sucks, because it doesn't. With stock AB injectors and a DP-Tuner 80hp "econo tune", my truck runs like a dog with it's arse on fire. I've smoked the rear tires once and laid rubber an a few occasions, all while still getting around 20 mpg at 60 mph. But the "early 99" does have it limitations. If you desire 400 hp or more, the "early 99" turbo just won't do. But then again, the early 99 does have the good conecting rods. It's easier to change all the turbo related stuff to get 400+ HP than it is to change out powdered metal connecting rods for forged ones.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14