1st time using B20

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
Just filled up this afternoon with B20 biodiesel @ $2.89 per gallon. found a fuel station within 7 miles of home.( thanks to a search on this website) Just wondering if there is anything i need to watch or listen for in the first few tanks.My truck has 76k miles and I change my oil every 5k and fuel filter every 10k.(motocraft filters and oil) my fuel pressure is set at 68psi, tried to get as close to 70psi as possible. I'm not currently running any kind of chip or tuner. just 4" exhaust. future plans are for a dp tuner and afe stage 2 intake. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Just be ready to change the filter again. I've been running B20 most of the time for the last 15k or so, but doing great. Probably do for a filter change here soon though.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Carry a spare fuel filter with you in case you have to change it out due to clogging, caused by the bio in the first tank or two.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be following this Post cuz as soon as I git back from Oregon next week I'm guna Go B-20. Found a Pacific Pride Station about a 1/2 mile away that has started carrying it.

They don't know cuz B-20 is fairly new to them, so I'll askl the question here:

Does B-20 have an API spec, or can it vary (a bit) from Brand to Brand ??

:dunno

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biodiesel is SUPPOSED to meet ASTM specs (6751). I would like to think that if you are purchasing your fuel...it would meet specs. If it's homebrew, it's a toss up to whether or not it passes (most don't have it tested).

That said, it can pass the ASTM specs and still vary, and a lot of it depends on what feedstock was used to make the biodiesel. For instance, if it's made from animal fats, it will have more BTUs, but will also gel at a higher temp. Different vegetable oils have different cold-weather properties.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be following this Post cuz as soon as I git back from Oregon next week I'm guna Go B-20. Found a Pacific Pride Station about a 1/2 mile away that has started carrying it.

They don't know cuz B-20 is fairly new to them, so I'll askl the question here:

Does B-20 have an API spec, or can it vary (a bit) from Brand to Brand ??

:dunno

Technically, no, B20 does not have an ASTM spec.

However, as stated earlier, the biodiesel portion (20%) is supposed to meet the ASTM previously mentioned. Plus the diesel portion (80%) should meet it's LSD/ULSD ASTM spec.

In any event, other than being prepared to change your fuel filters, you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Al

Last edited:

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
well I'm 300 miles into the first tank and I'm not seeing nearly as much black smoke when i accel. but truck seems to be running fine, may be a tad quieter? gonna try another tankfull

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
well the truck died this morning coming to a stop sign, would restart then die, changed the fuel filter and drove back home to let it sit and idle for a while, seems fine for now ??? hope this isn't gonna be the start of many problems

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
Biodiesel is an incredible solvent, and will clean out any junk in the tank, lines, or anywhere else in the fuel system. This is why so many people have said be ready to change out your filter. Did the filter look junked up when you changed it? I don't know about the blends, but B100 will dissolve standard rubber hoses, so be careful and watch for leaks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58