1st time using B20

01platinum

Go VOLS
Reaction score
bio diesel

Platinum, whatever happened? I just found the B20 near me and was thinking of trying it but not sure if I should cut it down or not. Anyone else been running B20 over an extended period of time?

I ran into some driveability issues and switched back to regular diesel just to eliminate the possibility of the biodiesel causing the problem. haven't been driving the truck to work so I haven't had a chance to find the problem. suspecting the IPR ???:dunno power is way down and hardly blows any black smoke at all.

forddeerediesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been running B-20 for a year, and I have not had any fuel related issues. I did find my EBV tube was plugged, but from the extent of the plug, it had been that way for some time. I run B-20 in a 1993 Mack CH-613 and have had no problem. Less smoke, maybe a little more low-end torque, smoother running. I ran my own mixture ( bought B-100 and mixed it w/ULSD) up to 60% bio and never had any problems. But research says that higher levels will eat natural rubber :dunno Not had any problems yet. I burn it pulling 25K lbs of hay and equipment, not noticed any issues.:)

Moe-B

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here is a partial list of potential issues when using biodiesel (referred to generally as "FAME" in this document). This list is from a joint manufacturers' statement put out by Delphi, Stanadyne, Bosch, Siemens and Denso that states their position regarding biodiesel usage in their fuel injection systems. Like Ford, they will not recommend anything over B5 until BD quality issues are eliminated (assuming that's even possible).

FAMEprobs.jpg

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Anyone else been running B20 over an extended period of time?

Yeah, B20 is finally available locally. I've been using B20->B99 for a couple of years and my truck loves it. For those used to #2, B20->B99 will show slower acceleration. It's because there is 7% less energy in B100 than #2.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I've run from B5 to B99 for about a year and a half, with at least 1500 gallons of B99. Less smoke, smoother running engine.

I had noticed a slight decrease in fuel mileage at the end of last spring and thought I might have some injector o-rings out. I was right, when I installed the new AC codes I found 4 injectors with shredded fuel o-rings. That was only at 134k miles.

The quality control is going to be the biggest hurdle. I got to see first hand, last week, what bad fuel can do. A '93 IDI pump core came in that was seized, when I took the side plate off the fuel was dark and as it poured out into the jar you could see glycerine in it, more of which has settled out in the jar as the days have passed. Come to find out the crap got passed the filter through the pump and plugged an injector which seized the rotary pump.

Biodiesel has a long way to go before injection manufacturers recognize higher concentrations. Cummins and New Holland have recognized B20 but you can bet that they will be sending samples off when injection system failures occur. Bad fuel WILL VOID any warranty.

Moe-B

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Biodiesel has a long way to go before injection manufacturers recognize higher concentrations. Cummins and New Holland have recognized B20 but you can bet that they will be sending samples off when injection system failures occur. Bad fuel WILL VOID any warranty.

Good info Rooster. This is one of my major concerns, even with petroleum diesel, which is why I drain my HFCM and check my fuel filters regularly. Unfortunately, the chances of getting bad fuel with BD are even higher than with petrol diesel. I suspect Ford and the other companies that only recommend B5 are being extremely conservative, but I'm still not confident enough with the BD situation to run much above that. I'd love to start running B100 today, if for no other reason than to keep my money from going to the oil ticks in the Middle East, but I don't want my truck to be a guinea pig.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info Rooster. This is one of my major concerns, even with petroleum diesel, which is why I drain my HFCM and check my fuel filters regularly. Unfortunately, the chances of getting bad fuel with BD are even higher than with petrol diesel. I suspect Ford and the other companies that only recommend B5 are being extremely conservative, but I'm still not confident enough with the BD situation to run much above that. I'd love to start running B100 today, if for no other reason than to keep my money from going to the oil ticks in the Middle East, but I don't want my truck to be a guinea pig.

YES Rooster, very good info. And Moe.. I hear ya. I'd like to go BD (oil ticks, I like that) but just can't bring myself to do it. Even pulled up to the (new) B20 pump the other day.. Fretted over it for a few, pulled over the the # 2, ULSC, added some 2 cycle oil'n filled up. Just couldn't do it. Don't know enough about it. Haven't seen or heard enough yet.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Risks with b20 are slim. The concentration is simply not enough to cause all the gloom and doom nay-sayers and manufacturers predict. Simply know your source and if it is convenient, put on a pre-filter. B20 is not going to clean everything out very quickly either. Rooster and I have both run b100 and when you get quality fuel you dont have any issues other than the rubber lines needing to be replaced.

I would be far more concerned about adding 2 cyle oil than I would using B20. I bet no manufacturer would endorse that.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Risks with b20 are slim. The concentration is simply not enough to cause all the gloom and doom nay-sayers and manufacturers predict. Simply know your source and if it is convenient, put on a pre-filter. B20 is not going to clean everything out very quickly either. Rooster and I have both run b100 and when you get quality fuel you dont have any issues other than the rubber lines needing to be replaced.

I would be far more concerned about adding 2 cyle oil than I would using B20. I bet no manufacturer would endorse that.

I trust the quality of the B20 available here, I know other SD guys that are using it. It's the internal seals, gasket and rubber fuel line issues that concern me. I have a Dahl 100 pre-filter. What should we use to replace any seals, gaskets and rubber fuel lines? I would want to know and do all of this replacement stuff before I started using it.

I think all of That, is what makes Me hesitant about using any BD products.. in my, soon to be..8 year old 7.3.

:dunno

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14