2 problems

7.3turbodiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck does 2 things I cant seem to figure out how to fix. One it shutters and lugs bad when your driving at 60km and let off the fuel and then get back on the fuel. Second thing is it will crank over but wont start. It doesnt have a pattern for this. i will do it once a week or 3 times a day, cold or not outside, warm motor or cold motor. It usually will start right up on the second try but a few times it has taking a third attempt before it goes. Any ideas?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
could the shutter be the transmission locking the converter?

crank no start could possibly be a sticking glowplug relay. pay attention to the voltage guage to see if the glowplugs are kicking on the next time it doesnt start.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the shutter I would guess a transmission problem 60km/h is roughly 37 mph.

Try hitting the OD lock out button I have a feeling that this will eliminate the shudder but confirm the transmission diagnosis

For the starting problem since you have the stancor it is unlikely to be the problem not to mention that you said that the problem exists hot & cold starts. The next place I would look is the starter solenoid and the starter itself.

Listen carefully to how the engine sounds when you are staring the truck, is it slower than it should be, you may not be able to hear the difference. These starters will wear and just not spin fast enough (also due to weak batteries) to start the motor even though it will spin over.

I had a similar problem and this was the cure.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had to put a starter in my truck sat. It's just not spinning fast enough to get the truck started and I did not like the smoke that came out of the starter to.

7.3turbodiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the shutter I would guess a transmission problem 60km/h is roughly 37 mph.

Try hitting the OD lock out button I have a feeling that this will eliminate the shudder but confirm the transmission diagnos

For the starting problem since you have the stancor it is unlikely to be the problem not to mention that you said that the problem exists hot & cold starts. The next place I would look is the starter solenoid and the starter itself.

Listen carefully to how the engine sounds when you are staring the truck, is it slower than it should be, you may not be able to hear the difference. These starters will wear and just not spin fast enough (also due to weak batteries) to start the motor even though it will spin over.

I had a similar problem and this was the cure.

I will try the Od lock out button next time i go for a drive. I just put a brand new 03 super duty napa starter on about 3 months ago, it is double the output of the stock one. I whips it over like nothing, I love the noise that sucker makes, high pitch whrrrr. when it wont start it turns over just as fast as when it starts, just never takes. If the starter solenoid was faulty wouldn't it not want to even turn over since it wouldnt engage the plunger on the starter to mesh with the flywheel? The batteries are about a year and a half old but maybe i will get them checked out. Were slowly eliminating things so it should be long before the solution is apparent.

7.3turbodiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about 7000kms ago, i plan on changing it again in about 1500km when i do another oil change. I have a inline filter before the polluck valve and have a big aluminium slug in the fuel bowl to help my purge times when i run on veg oil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14