2 Stroke oil as a diesel additive???

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I was "window shopping" over at one of the over forums and stumbled across a VERY INTERESTING discussion thread. (Note for "Mods", I elected to start this thread here because it applies to all our diesels IDI, 7.3, 6.0 & 6.4. Feel free to move it if you feel it fits in better elswhere.)

Since the introduction of ULSD fuel, we have all been at least a little bit concerned about the sulfur that has been practictly eliminated from diesel fuel and the possible resultant harm that may be caused to our expensive engines. Many have resorted to various fuel additives in the hopes of preventing wear & damage that would otherwise be caused by the lack of lubricity of the new ULSD.

One of the members of the other forum, had done some research and found out that most diesel fuel additives, while improving cetane ratings somewhat, do little if anything to improve the lubricity of ULSD. He posted his findings on his webpage. Soon afterwards, he was "forcibly convinced" by the manufacturer of one of the more popular brands to remove mention of their product from his website.

What this individual does suggest (and very cleverly, I might add) was to use typical 2 stroke engine oil as an lubricating additive to diesel fuel. As a former boater and snowmobiler, I know that 2 stroke oil comes in different "grades or ratings", namely TCW2 & TCW3. Two stroke oil is by design, of a highly lubricating nature, reducing friction between close tolerance moving parts. TCW3 is the cleaner, ashless oil that most two stroke manufacturers recommend for their engines made in recent years. He also suggested adding no more than about 1oz of TCW3 oil per 1 gallon of diesel fuel. Any more than that, and it'll be too "rich" and negative performance effects will be realized. Others on the same discussion thread have reported slight economy improvements and quieter engine operation.

Overall, I found this concept highly intriguing and too important to not "borrow" the subject, and bring it over here.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Yeah, I notice Chevron got rid of their DieselMotive additive and replaced it with two other cleaners that have questionable lubricating ability. I have been and will probably continue to use Marvel Mystery Oil for lubricant.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I had read something along the lines of 2 stroke oil in some BioDiesel forums but I didn't really have too much interest but open to hearing more.

I been using B20 BioDiesel to make up for the lost lubricity in the crappy ULSD Fuel.

There's a lubricity additive from FPPF I'm looking towards testing out once I can get a retailer locally;)

dpantazis

Reaction score
SHHHH! Be vwey vwey quiet!

TG-

We've been doing this for years with LSD fuel and with old rotary pump diesels (me with my 1.6NA VW).

1 oz/gal. vehicle does not seem to care what grade oil it is. in fact, some guys swear by marvel mystery oil, ATF, 2 cycle. i think the bottom line is SOME oil in there helps with noise and wear.

if you REALLY want to read up on it, join the Yahoo groups for VW diesels and harvest the archive there.

dp

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i will crunch numbers for myself later tonight, but has anyone done the math to see what is the most economical to run between Marvel, ATF, and 2 stroke?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'd love to burn bio-diesel, but it isn't available at retail here in DA U.P.

There is a new bio-diesel plant down in either Gladstone or Rapid River, but they are only selling to fleet customers. So regular guys like me can't get any yet.

So I think I'm going to give the TCW-III 2-stroke oil a try. I can get the stuff at an employee discount at work, plus I can shop for the best deal. So I can get all I need for dirt cheap. But even for other folks, TCW-III can be had very affordably at many places like Walmart, Tractor Supply, Fleet Farm, etc. when bought in one or two gallon jugs.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
... had done some research and found out that most diesel fuel additives, while improving cetane ratings somewhat, do little if anything to improve the lubricity of ULSD.

Did he have his own testing done in a lab or what? What kind of "research?" Was it additive reformulated for ULSD? Was it just the general additives or the lubricity additives? Most companies have many different ones like Bill mentioned the FPPF lubricity additive Stanadyne has a similar product.

Now if he worked in a fuel shop and had torn down some pumps or injectors that had ULSD with and w/o additive he could have the parts put under scope to see how bad scoring is with various additives.

5% biodiesel would be better lubricity than additive IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14