2 Stroke Oil Works!!!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I thought I'd try the 2 stroke TCW3 oil as a way of restoring lubricity to the ULSD fuel most of us without access to bio-diesel are stuck with having to burn. I put a quart in and topped off the tank, giving me a ratio of a bit leaner than 1 oz TCW3 to 1 gal fuel. I figured what have i got to loose, diesel fuel is oil and 2 stroke lubricant is oil, so I'm only mixing oil with oil.

I can honestly say the difference is surprising and noticeable very soon after adding the 2 stroke lubricant. The injector noise is significantly quieter than before and very smooth down the road. It'll take me a few days of commuting back & forth to work to see if there is any difference in mpg, but so far, I'm impressed.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good post Kent think I am going to have to try this. Intrested to see if you get any extra MPG. Keep us posted.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm trying this too...

first tank I ran through was a tank of BP dino-diesel (LSD) chased with a quart of Valvoline TCW3 outboard motor oil from the marina (only place open on a Sunday)...

two weeks later (yesterday), filled up with a tank of B5 (ULSD) from the same station, chased with a quart of BP "Two Stroke" TCW3...

the engine seems to be a touch quieter, although it seems to smoke on startup a hair more, reminiscent of a Honda Elsinore or three I used to own...

a couple more tanks like this, I'll have a baseline mpg calc that I can use when I add a cetane booster (logical next step)...

truck had been getting high 12's for mpg over the winter; now that warmer weather has arrived (I think), that should improve on it's own...

so I'll be looking for an increase in mpg above a straightline calculation.

I don't have any road trips planned until about June, so my normal driving habits should provide a decent evaluation, without skewing it with a large percentage of highway miles, or a six-hour tow with 7,500lbs of horses and trailer..

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'm trying this too...

first tank I ran through was a tank of BP dino-diesel (LSD) chased with a quart of Valvoline TCW3 outboard motor oil from the marina (only place open on a Sunday)...

I got my TCW3 from Wally world. I checked all the different marine suppliers at work, and all of them the dealer cost was more than what I paid at Walmart. It was only $8 something a gallon.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I got my TCW3 from Wally world. I checked all the different marine suppliers at work, and all of them the dealer cost was more than what I paid at Walmart. It was only $8 something a gallon.

thought of that... I was there for fishin supplies last night.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I have tried it also @ 1 qt per tank and it does make the engine run a little quieter. Another thing I was thinking about is there is a fuel value to the oil so I think the gal of oil will also replace a gal of #2 and there by bringing the added cost of the oil down to $5 a gal. This is after subtracting the fuel value of the oil from the purchase price.
Jim

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Another thing I was thinking about is there is a fuel value to the oil so I think the gal of oil will also replace a gal of #2 and there by bringing the added cost of the oil down to $5 a gal. This is after subtracting the fuel value of the oil from the purchase price.
Jim

I'm not real sure I follow what ur trying to say.

But I look at it this way: 1 gallon contains 128 ounces. If a gallon of 2 stroke oil costs $8, then 1/128th of a gallon (or 1 ounce) is about 6.25 cents. That is 6.25 cents to treat 1 gallon of diesel fuel.

I've seen the price of diesel jump more than that in 1 day.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm not real sure I follow what ur trying to say.

he's thinkin' he gets BTU's from the oil..

which you do, but you're also lowering the cetane rating of the fuel...

like I said... we have a baseline mpg rating... 12.8

now, we've added 2 stroke oil to replace fuel lubricity lost to ULSD... too soon to tell about average mpg, but when we do...

then I'll add a cetane booster and we'll go from there...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58