2000 7.3 down fuel/electrical issues

andrewplatz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Please help:2000 7.3 won't start fuel/electrical issues

I had been running my truck on veggie oil and motor oil. Something caused it to go down. I rebuilt my injectors, and installed a 17* hpop. Truck has 320000 miles on it. It won't start. I changed the cps, and the tach still doesn't read rpms. The glow plug relay is working but the wts light does not come on (light could be out). There is no diesel smoke coming out of the exhaust. I am not getting fuel through either. I loosen up the high pressure lines on the heads and tried to prime them as best I could. Diesel fuel may be getting into the engine oil. The level has went up. I am going to drian some of the oil, and take any sugguestions.

Thanks, Andrewplatz

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after replacing injectors these trucks can be very difficult to get started. cracking the HPO lines going to the head is not going to really help you get the air out of the system because of how it is designed.

Pull the maxifuse from under the hood for the IDM, check and fill the HPO reservoir with fresh oil, turn the engine over for 20-30 seconds let the starter rest for about 10 min, repeat the procedure at least 3 times. Then reinstall the fuse and it should start up for you. Make sure you have batteries in very good shape or have a charger on them for assistance.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a concern about fuel getting to the engine...check your filter to make sure it's full -- if it's not, since you've got an electric pump, cycle the key to run (not start) to make sure you're getting fuel up to the filter.

Did you have a conversion to run on the oil, or were you running a mix with a stock fuel system, or something else?

andrewplatz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have checked all the fuses. The waste system has been taken off now (may sell:Golden fuel systems 80gal system) The thing is that I bought a brand new cps and the tach still does nothing. I have been priming it like the other post said cranking with #27 under hood taken out. But if the cps ain't working then the thing won't run. Of course the stock tank, fuel bowl, hpop and everything were properly assembled and filled. Is there any way to clear the debris from past where the high pressure line feeds into the head? I think (should be the only place) there could be debris there in the head on its way to the injector.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I think an important clue maybe where you said the WTS light isn't coming on. Several others have had the same no-start problem along with the WTS light not working. What the cause ended up being was a shorted heater element in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. This causes the associated fuse to blow, the same fuse that supplies power to the PCM, hence causing the inop WTS light.

The longterm fix is obviously to repair the heater element. But an immediate short term fix was to disconnect the wire plug to the heater element and isolate the electrical short. Then replace the blown fuse and drive it away.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

andrewplatz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have going over things with a multi-meter. There is voltage to the cps. But one of the relays under the hood #6 the very back one has no voltage.

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tailgunner makes a good point. I have seen the same thing. Get a 12v testlight and check every single fuse in both fuse boxes. If that heater element is shorted, your truck will not start.

andrewplatz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I figured out the electrical. I did take a meter to everything. It was a blown fuse and the farthest back relay was bad. Now cps, wts light, and fuel pump all work fine. (and tach) Well I today I put 5 more gallons of diesel in. Fuel came pouring out what looked between the motor and tranny. We could not find the source on top but it looked like it was coming from the pass. side. So I pulled that valve cover. There was some fuel in the valve cover. Then after trying different things for a few hours we hooked a scanner up. No codes (prolly cause batteries had been unhooked. But I tried to crank then and it was hydraulic locked. Tomarrow I am going to pull each glow plug individually and see which cylinder dumped the fuel.

Last edited:

Clyde99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Pull all of them before you crank on that engine anymore! You run the risk of bending things if you crank on a hydralocked engine. Check your engine oil level and see if it raised and is diluted. Check the HP fuel lines and the fittings at the HP pump for leakage. Also check the fuel bowl drain valve for leakage. Look at the cyl. head plugs for the fuel rails.

If you have fuel atop the heads under the valve cover then there is a leaking injector and/or o-rings, replace all of them. That being the case the fuel will go to the crankcase,any external leak/evidence is a separate issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14