2000 7.3 SuperDuty

Fly-Guy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2000 7.3 SuperDuty

My superduty started puffing a whiteish color exhaust when excellerating or climbing inclines. It does not lose power or skips. It maintains all operating levels and has not lost any MPG. The DTC codes read P-0470, P-0478 and
P-0603. Where do I start?? It has about 140,000 miles with a superchip.

Fly-Guy

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally a whiteish colour smoke is antifreeze. Is the coolant level up? What do the codes once decoded turn out to be?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
P0470 = Exhaust Pressure Sensor Malfunction
P0478 = Exhaust Pressure Control Valve High
P0603 = Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

The 0470 and 0478 are realated to the EBPV and the 0603 is related to the SCMT.

None of those codes would be indicative to the white puff of smoke. White smoke can be attributed to unburnt fuel in a cold engine or as mentioned, burning anti-freeze/water.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck seems to do this when it is in the lower 40s and below, accelerating hard. No coolant lose according to the overflow. I asked about it on another forum.

Tempature? Humidity levels? My only exception is that I can't tell what color is it, if that makes sense.. plus I can't see anything if the sun isn't directly behind me. I even had someone riding behind me once, and I accelerated on purpose.. later asked if he saw anything, nope.. this was even at night so surely the headlights would've caught anything..

If you're not using coolant, then I don't see any need to worry. My truck smokes white in a cold morning but stops, the acceleration puff I see is not hardly anything to what it'll do it in a real cold morning.

Maybe it's oil getting it's way through the system via the crappy crankcase vent?

Edit: Maybe you're seeing increase in heat thus the ambient air "changing" color? I would assume if you were loosing coolant, you would be constantly be puffing white smoke.

Last edited:

Fly-Guy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
white puffs of smoke

The white puffs of smoke that comes on uphill excellerations can be quite concerning, I lost a small car once, but no coolerant lost is detected. I will change the fuel filter and EPV and re-evaluate

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke can also be caused by an excessive amount of unburned fuel.

Might wanna check your injectors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58