Question 2001 axle same as what other YR

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the front axle on my 01 F250 and i keep coming across adds for 2002 to 2004, 99 only or 2000 only. why am i not finding 2001 listed. are they the same as the 02 - 04? also my axle has the tag that shows 4.10 on the top line and 2001273-2 on the bottom line is there anything special about this axle i need to know?

This truck is down for the count and will start costing me about 100 bucks a day until i can get a new axle under it has its my tow rig for the trails this coming weekend.

Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Take as tape measure and measure the overall length, the length between the spring pads (Center to center) and then measure what ever axle you want. Make sure they have the same brakes and you should be good. The same with the steering knuckles, make sure they are the same.

Dave

JSchuricht

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Early 99 axles are special, but 99.5-04 will bolt up. What you need to watch out for is matching the gear ratio and around 01 the switched from the Dana 50 to the 60. Either will bolt up but the drive shaft is a different length. SRW trucks came with 3.73 gears but your 4.10 tag makes me wonder if something was already swapped. Check the door tag and rear axle to make sure you get the right ratio.

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would the gear ratio be more common since its my 5.4 truck not my 7.3? Didnt think that would make a difference but it may.

JSchuricht

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the build list for the 5.4 but a lower ratio on a smaller motor seems logical to me. Might make it a bit harder to find tho. The other thing I forgot to mention is the chassis cab trucks have the mounts in a different place so make sure you get a axle from a truck that had a bed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58