2001 F350 Deader than....

ToddOH43

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Interesting note.

Got to the shop this morning and just for laughs I hopped in the truck to see if it would start. Sure enough, it fired right up. Ran for 5 minutes again, and died.

Long story short, I replaced the CPS and ran it around the industrial park for 30 minutes with no issues.

I'm going to assume that was the problem. However, I wouldn't have thought the CPS could function fine when cold, and fail at operating temps.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I appreciate it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting note.

Got to the shop this morning and just for laughs I hopped in the truck to see if it would start. Sure enough, it fired right up. Ran for 5 minutes again, and died.

Long story short, I replaced the CPS and ran it around the industrial park for 30 minutes with no issues.

I'm going to assume that was the problem. However, I wouldn't have thought the CPS could function fine when cold, and fail at operating temps.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I appreciate it.

;tu glad ya got it run'n.

Don't know the Techy side of the CPS but it picks up signals from the Cam Shaft, magneticaly.. They don't just simply FAIL.. they get WEAK.. and then the "for no reason" shut downs happen.

The new one is supposed to fix that.. But many of us carry a Spare CPS in the truck.

Yer call.. but for the price ? Good Insurance ? (Now that you know the symptoms)

Joe

ToddOH43

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
;tu glad ya got it run'n.

Don't know the Techy side of the CPS but it picks up signals from the Cam Shaft, magneticaly.. They don't just simply FAIL.. they get WEAK.. and then the "for no reason" shut downs happen.

The new one is supposed to fix that.. But many of us carry a Spare CPS in the truck.

Yer call.. but for the price ? Good Insurance ? (Now that you know the symptoms)

Joe

In my line of work I encounter a lot of machinery that uses magnetic proximity switches. Usually when they go, they go all at once. They don't go "bad" over time. Interesting that this one does. Seems to be fine now though.

Thanks again.

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
i worked with a guy, he would go out in the morning to warm up his pickup and when he went back out ten min later it had died, start right back up. drive down the road and die. but start right back up everytime, finally got him to change the cps at ford and never had the problem since. so yours would be the second one ive heard of having the same kind of issue with the cps. some times electronics can be tricky

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my line of work I encounter a lot of machinery that uses magnetic proximity switches. Usually when they go, they go all at once. They don't go "bad" over time. Interesting that this one does. Seems to be fine now though.

Thanks again.

i worked with a guy, he would go out in the morning to warm up his pickup and when he went back out ten min later it had died, start right back up. drive down the road and die. but start right back up everytime, finally got him to change the cps at ford and never had the problem since. so yours would be the second one ive heard of having the same kind of issue with the cps. some times electronics can be tricky

X3 Guyz..

The same holds true with the VSS it seems.. It also gets "weak", with intermittent CC, ABS, Speedo, Shift point gremlins. :dunno

"Some times electronics can be tricky".. is So True.

Again.. Glad you got it run'n Todd. ;tu

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just a guess but maybe it has something to do with the heat of the engine and over time some kind of heat barrier breaks down and when the engine heats up, something happens to it

ToddOH43

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The older I get the more I realize that electricity seldom follows its own "rules".

I cant tell you how many hours I've lost trouble shooting a problem that turns out to be a phantom electrical issue.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim