2001 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, my girlfriend and I just bought her a 2001 cherokee to get her to and from work in and I need to change the oil and filters tomorrow.. I have never had anything but my powerstroke so my question is...

what weight and brand of oil should I use in the 4.0L I6 motor? (any other cherokee info is welcome as I am new to this suv and want to get the most out of it)

thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Depending on the miles on it and the condition of the engine, but I would either run a 15-40 or a 20-50 in it. Look at the oil fill cap it should give you a recommended weight to run on there as well. As far as brands go? Pick one you like.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Depending on the miles on it and the condition of the engine, but I would either run a 15-40 or a 20-50 in it. Look at the oil fill cap it should give you a recommended weight to run on there as well. As far as brands go? Pick one you like.

thanks for the suggestion

manual recommends 10-30.. but it has 120,000 on it... it only has to last us two years of to and from work driving sooo....

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10w30 is fine maybe step to a 15w40. When winter hits you might drop down to a 5w30.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, my girlfriend and I just bought her a 2001 cherokee to get her to and from work in and I need to change the oil and filters tomorrow.. I have never had anything but my powerstroke so my question is...

what weight and brand of oil should I use in the 4.0L I6 motor? (any other cherokee info is welcome as I am new to this suv and want to get the most out of it)

thanks

I'm pretty sure 10w30 is the specified oil for that year.. brand is up to you, as long as it's not "Wolf's Head" or "Wal Mart"
what I would do if I were you.. is start at the front bumper and replace everything in it that's "wet" untill you get to the back bumper.

Chances are the previous owner never did because hey... who ever does any of that stuff anyway?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure 10w30 is the specified oil for that year.. brand is up to you, as long as it's not "Wolf's Head" or "Wal Mart"
what I would do if I were you.. is start at the front bumper and replace everything in it that's "wet" untill you get to the back bumper.

Chances are the previous owner never did because hey... who ever does any of that stuff anyway?

good point... we are both still in school and the only "shop" access I have is back home at my parents place... we are headed that way tomorrow... Im going to change the oil and the filters tomorrow along with the belt...

thanks guys

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10w40 is what my brother ran in his jeep when he had it and I can tell you that that 4.0L is one dirty engine. My brother would have black oil on the dipstick after 1k miles when I could go 5k in my ranger (2.9L) and still be able to see through the oil with mobil1 filter & synthetic.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
10w40 is what my brother ran in his jeep when he had it and I can tell you that that 4.0L is one dirty engine. My brother would have black oil on the dipstick after 1k miles when I could go 5k in my ranger (2.9L) and still be able to see through the oil with mobil1 filter & synthetic.

yeah I've already noticed that.... but most people in our neck of the woods usually get a lot of miles out of the 4.0 though:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14