2001 w/white smoke....sometimes,need help

parker2jeeps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Need Help fast.
Truck is breaking down intermitantly.
2001 power stroke 0 mods
3 months ago. Hardly ran 1 morning, changed fuel filter, would run all the way to rev limiter then start bogging down and die, white smoke
Replaced multiple fuel filters and found that watse gate was not opening. rebuilt turbo and cut out muffler, truck ran for 35 miles ok still cutting out after 2000 rpms then died on side of road, replaced fuel pump and ran ok back home, drove 45 miles next day and then back on the way back died again on freeway. waited 30 minutes and started back up ran crappy to friends house, no smoke though. replaced fuel pump second time, ran great till got to work next day. found i could drive it easy (nothing above 2200 rpms for about 20 miles then it would basiclly not run. Replaced cam sensor and problems were solved, ran great fuel economy was down 2mpg but it was running.

2 weeks ago driving home and started sputtering at higher rpms, white smoke is back. only smoked when deep into the throttle. replaced cam sensor, replaced fuel suction screen in tank, new fuel, and air filter, ran for 10 miles, cooled down for 1 hour barely made it home. went out last night, started up fine could run to rev limiter (little bobble at fuel rpms) did it 20 times no smoke but ran funny at full rpms

some misc parts i have also replaced
orings inside of fuel bowl (piece that goes in middle 2 orings)
orings inlet and return on fuel bowl

also 3 weeks ago passed with flying colors emission test which is max rpm's for 10 seconds three times
please help. all lines have been flushed including heads. ran a gallon of atf (not at 1 time) 3/4 of quart with new filters, filters and tank are never dirty, just keep thinking it is a fuel problem since it runs fine then craps out and have a bad habit of never putting in a used filter.

parker2jeeps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
no help

Isnt there anybody out there with some kind of advice. How do check diesel engines for air leaks in fuel system? Soapy water. Where is the idm? How to check map sensor? PLease help my 350 5.4 is killing me!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
With all that you have done under hood, fuel filters-fuel pump-turbo work-muffler removal-etc, I would look into possibly a fuel pickup problem in the tank. Perhaps you are sucking air there.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all that you have done under hood, fuel filters-fuel pump-turbo work-muffler removal-etc, I would look into possibly a fuel pickup problem in the tank. Perhaps you are sucking air there.

Along with Stroker.. The QD fitting on the inlet side of the fuel pump? Those leak air also.

How about the IDM (Injector Drive Module)? Those cause Fuel system issues.

parker2jeeps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I went out last night, dove it 1/4 mile like I stole it, no smoke ran great but new better, turned around, drove back the same way and wala, white smoke cuttinbg out missing, parked it, put it in neutral, put it to the limitter the smoke went away although it ran like crap again, quickly shut it off and untwisted the cap on the filter 1/4" of fuel in the tank. New pickup screen in the tank last week. Sprayed everything from soapy water to either on evry inch of exposed fuel line, no bubbles no change in engine rpm nor sound. Pulling the tank....again, to see if the line from top of tank through sending unit is rubber or not, have ran b100 sporadically over the past year and found some rubber eaten up. Thanks , where is the idm?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump inlet QD fitting >can< allow air to be sucked into the fuel. it's a fitting that's meant to be under pressure, not suction.

The IDM is in the big Fuse box, under the hood. Check yer Owners Manual for the # location (model year thing).

Rick has a good "maybe" thing to check too.. the UVCH connections & wireing.

parker2jeeps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
back side of pump? little plastic clip that pulls out and line comes off? under pressure? Sorry kind of lost me . How to check or actually should I have resistance in wires going through valve cover. Would assume the should not have resistance, hence if there is resisitance then plug/wires are grounding out? But wouyld that keep fuel pump from pumping? Now that the cam sensor will kill the pump if faulty but those wires , coiuld they kill fuel pump? Finding out so far that my fuel pump is being intermitant, what controls fuel pump besides cam sensor?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that plastic fitting on the >Tank, or suction< end of the Fuel Pump.

What I and many others have done is: Replace that plastic fitting assembly with a section of Diesel Friendly fuel hose and 2 band clamps.

As fuel is drawn (sucked) from the fuel tank by the fuel pump, as it passes thru that fitting, there is a Good Chance AIR can be being sucked in, then mixed, into the fuel. Especially under demand throttle conditions (WOT).

I've done this mod on any 7.3 I've worked on. When (if) you do it.. I'll Betcha, when you fire it up, in minute or 2, yul hear and feel the idle smooth out, and the engine get quieter at idle.

Have you scanned for any Codes ??

Last edited:

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read in ANY of his post where he scanned for codes, I wonder why? It seems as if he's just throwing parts at the truck TRYING to find the 'golden bb'. A code scane will usually point you in the right direction. I may be a shade tree mechanic but I got a code scanner and don't mind using it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58