2001 w/white smoke....sometimes,need help

jguzman75

McAllen, Texas
Reaction score
Dont laugh but mine was doing the exact same thing white smoke, crappy idle and if it ran long enough would finally die but if i turned the key off and on a few times in a row without starting the engine to try and push air out of the system, so i thought, then it would start and run fine. i took it to the dealer for some service and asked the tech and he new exactly what was going on he told me to add an additive to the fuel because the pump was loosing its prime because the the missing sulfer in the fuel to lubricate the fuel pump. It sounded like hog wash at the time but ever since i have used any kind of additive i haven't had the problem again. Once time i ran a few tanks of fuel without any additive and the problem came right back. :dunno

parker2jeeps

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
fixed it finally

Thanks for all your help, sometimes it really helps to have an extra set of eyes on then subject. thought it was fuel related, then confirmed it, fitted a new line to the suction side of the pump, problem still there, pulled the tank, nothing wrong in here, put air hose to suction line and blew towards the sock at bottom (with sending unit out of tank) and crap came out of the bottom screen. I had replaced that screen, last go round. Took it off and blew through again, even more crap, turns out that there are 2 3" long filters in the plastic unit on the sending unit. Pried the yellow plastic thing apart and viola 2 plugged filters. cleaned them and put it all back together, no problems so far. And yes I was throwing parts at it and I put it on 3 computers for codes....no codes.:thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58