2002 SD XLT getting hard to start

rocketdog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The last few mornings are the first this year here in Cincinnati where there has been frost on my windshield when I go outside to get in the truck.

It has been very hard to start the last couple of mornings. Crank it over a couple of times and it will "hit" but not start. It took about ten tries this morning to get it going. There is always a big white puff of smoke when it finally does start, too.

I would like to get this fixed before it gets much colder. I know you guys can help me.

Also, there is a light that comes on on the dash that I can't find in the owners manual and I am curious what it is. I tried to draw a picture of it here. Can anybody tell me what this is?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is the "wait to start" light. That light is on when the glow plugs are heating up. Wait until it goes OUT and then try the starter. If it is really cold you will have to cycle the key off and on to get them really hot.

Dave :)

rocketdog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been waiting for the light to go out. I kinda figured it had something to do with the glowplugs.

So you think I just need to cycle it a few times? It's odd because when I first got the truck a few years ago, I didn't have this problem. You don't think I have a problem with the "glow plug relay" or "fuel bowl heater" that I've seen some posts about on here?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
OK, it sounds like you have a glow plug or two that are bad. You will need to test them all with a volt/ohm meter. You should have a reading of about 1 ohm for the good ones. If they are zero or infinity they are bad. Big Joe or some one else will chime in on this.

Dave :)

rocketdog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok, guys...

I have to say, I looked under the hood last weekend and got a little intimidated by all the stuff it looked like I am going to have to unhook to do all the testing, fixing, etc. but this morning I decided to man up and , if you guys are with me, I am going to do this.

Looked under the hood again this morning in the parking lot at work (at home, I had to cycle the ignition about 10 times before it finally started...23° in Cincinnati) just to get a quick overview of what I have in store this weekend and got a surprise.

In the area underneath the relay on top of the motor in between the valve covers, there was a lot of fluid. Don't know if it's oil or diesel because I couldn't go into work smelling like either, but that's just going to add another layer to this job.

So, I'll either fix this thing with your help, or totally hose it up, one or the other. I have to get an area cleared in my garage tonight so I can get the truck in there, so it will be tomorrow before I will start digging in.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, guys...

I have to get an area cleared in my garage tonight so I can get the truck in there, so it will be tomorrow before I will start digging in.

Your Cold Start problem could easily be.. Dirty, Corroded Battery connections.

You may not be getting the good, strong Voltage & Amps it takes to initiate all the PCM controlled.. Cold Start circuits.

It's a Seasonal thing, when the Weather gets Cold & Damp.

So, The First thing to do is... Clean your Battery Posts and Clamps 'til the Posts and Clamps are Shiny Clean. Put'm back on.. Nice & Tight.

Try a few cold starts.. waiting for the WTS light to cycle.. If the problem still persists.. We'll walk you through the GPR/GP tests ?

Joe

There's also Plenty of How To's in the WIKI/DIY section on here ?

On Edit: How old are your batterys ? Had them Load tested ?

Last edited:

rocketdog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok, we'll do that.

I just ordered the Stancor 586-902 relay this morning. It seemed pretty much the concensus that this would be a good thing to do regardless.

I will get the posts and clamps cleaned off tomorrow. Whether that helps or not, I'm sure I can make it a couple more days til the new relay comes in. I will test the old relay that's on it in the morning, too, and see what it does. I think I can handle that based on the other posts I've read here.

Also, I checked at lunch. Seems like the fluid between the valve covers is diesel fuel. Don't know if that's just some overflow or some such related to the hard starting or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya