2003 6.0 problems

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
I brought it to the ford dealership and they said it had two problems.
#4 injector which was just replaced
the icp sensor

i drove the truck today, it drove fine until about 2-2.5k rpm then it just revved up not moving any faster then it got progressively worse 2k then 1.5 then it crawled home doing 20 mph. i put the truck in reverse and then died. The truck wont start at all now. My guess is the icp completely failed now. Could this be the problem? or is it more complex?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer or another Ford Dealer and have them scan it. You are guessing until it is scanned.

Dave

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
alright i fixed the icp it sounds much better but as soon as i hopped in, the rpm wouldnt go past 1100 rpm. i have no idea what the hell is going on. Does ford scan for free? i already gave them $90 to do a full diagnostic.

even in idle it wont rev past 2k

iam soo flustered

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok, Ford will not scan your truck for free. You have a very expensive truck and it takes a few $$ to take care of it. If you don't get your truck scanned, you, and everybody, will just be guessing at what is wrong. This will result in throwing parts ($$) at it. I am not getting on you or anyone else. I am trying to get my point across that these trucks are computer controlled and it takes either a very good mechanic or a scanner to diagnose them. It is your truck and your choice. I understand frustration, but it does not help. Good Luck! :)

Dave :)

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
the foot pedal is also electric is a good place to start too might be dirty or broke and you can test that with a meter if you know what the voltage should be i always use a scanner and dont know ahwat it should be off the top of my head

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend had similar problem on his 6.0. His FICM, fuel injection control module was only at 23 volts when it should have 48 volts.

It cost him $1,100 for a new one.

Do you have a code scanner?

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
i tested the ficm and it read above 45 volts.

I brought it back to ford via a towtruck.

they said it was a high pressure oil leak.
Right now im tearng into the truck checking the common problems, injector o-rings, hpop fitting and others.
My truck has a perfectly straight oil rail i have searched and i have not seen another truck with what i have. all the others have a large crazy shaped oil rail with standpipes. mine on the other hand is not like that at all. the front standpipe hole in the head seems to be blocked and the rear one has a woven tube with quick disconnect fittings going to the rail

my question is could these fittings be leaking and why cant i find another truck like mine?

Ford says that i need a hpop but i would like to eliminate all the other odds before breaking down and paying alot for a new one.

if you guys would like i can get a pic of the rail im talking about.

atk

Reaction score
yes they can leak....if you are referring to oil rail on top of injectors, mine is the same way. if i recall, the early 6.0l had this style of oil rails and changed after a certain build date(i think when they moved ICP sensor to the right valve cover....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58