2003 6.0 problems

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
im replacing the hpop. i just took the old one off, it seemed to make a click sound when i rotated the gear and it had quite a bit of play side to side and in and out. and I also suspect the o ring that is on top (the one held down under the two bolt plate) It felt stiff and the metal clamp piece showed that it had been leaking ( not a perfect circle from o ring outline) looks like it was sneaking by for quite some time.

So this should be my problem.

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
alright guys idk what is going on.
i got everything back together and it was running great last night.
my mom wanted to drive it this morning so i let her. she came in saying that when she tryed to start it she heard a clunk and then stopped. but I managed to get it running and it was doing fine. then it started billowing white smoke so my parents took it around the block to see if it would go away but when they parked it it started to leak oil/aintifreeze mix from the muffler.
Please help guys, I thought i was going to have a good weekend now i got to work on this thing again.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Put in Head Studs if you tear it down. They are less prone to allow the Head Gaskets to fail. Nothing is guaranteed.

Dave

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the heads blew from the damn egr cooler leaking.

now its time to get to work. lol

Hi how do you know the head gaskets are bad with coolant out the exhaust ?
sounds like it's just the EGR cooler if it's filling the right (passenger) side of the motor. Just joined I'm Mark

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
there is coolant in the oil, as i was tearing it down to replace the egr cooler, I took off the oil fill tube on the pass. side valve cover and there was a a milky gray substance on the end. So i took my finger and swished around on the inside and it was caked on, i know for a fact that it just happend. I had both valve covers off right before checking for bad quick diconnect fittings. But anyway im just about ready to start taking off the heads, but i have some questions. The line for the oil rail does it need to be unscrewed from the head before i can remove it and what a bout the valvetrain? Do i need to remove the rockers and pushrods?

also i suspect a leaky exhaust valve to allow the coolant into one of the cylinders

Last edited:

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like just the EGR cooler there is no way that I know of to check head gaskets with a bad EGR cooler. A lot of EGR cooler problems on early models is do to a pluged oil cooler and again you can't check that until the truck is running. Looking at a scanner coolant temp and oil temp shound not be more then 20 degress I've seen more early models with oil temp 60 degress higher that will melt the soilder out of the cooler and then it does what you have going on and guy's replace head gaskets and EGR coolers but never fix the cause and it does it again. If it was me I would spend a few hundered more and replace the oil cooler also and remove the valve covers and turn all head bolts 80 degress (1/4) of a turn they are torque to yeild bolts and if the truck got hot they strech the head gaskets hold up just retorque 80 degress. They sell EGR block off plates or just disconnect it until it's time for new tags and you'll have no more problems with coolant. Our you replace the EGR cooler and find a scannner and watch the coolant temp and oil temp and when you see it out of spec tear the whole top back down and replace the oil cooler it is under the EGR cooler.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You had better get yourself a manual on this engine, at least, before you go tearing into the motor. Save your self some $$ and grief.

Dave

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
I have the haynes book but I know that doesnt say much. I just recently ordered the 6.0 solution kit. And be done with all these problems.
I am awaiting for all the goods to arrive(about a week or so)

By the way guys, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The head gasket test is simple. You need to fix all coolant leaks first (EGR cooler) Then the little coolant hose that runs to the coolant bottle (drivers side by the firewall) install a gauge we always used a oil pressure gauge. Run the truck hard, and underload. The gauge shouln't ever get above 16 PSI. If you have head gaskets out you'll see like 20-25 at times. Have you overheated the truck ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58