2003 6.0 problems

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
Well to be honest this truck was beat really hard before I got it. I know for a fact that the heads were redone and it was done by ford. They used the same 'ole torque to yield bolts, no arp's.
The sound of the clunk indiactes to me that coolant got into the pass. side rear cylinder overnight via egr cooler and you cant compress liquid so it had to find a way out via head bolts stretching or blown headgasket(s).

I dont have time to play with it.
That is why I want to do this once and for all after the past two tries LOL

Last edited:

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to be honest this truck was beat really hard before I got it. I know for a fact that the heads were redone and it was done by ford. They used the same 'ole torque to yield bolts, no arp's.
The sound of the clunk indiactes to me that coolant got into the pass. side rear cylinder overnight via egr cooler and you cant compress liquid so it had to find a way out via head bolts stretching or blown headgasket(s).

I dont have time to play with it.
That is why I want to do this once and for all after the past two tries LOL

I've seen that same problem so many times since 03. ( 6.0 ) I have never seen a Rod bend. The cooler goes, and when it is shut down it fills the right side. Again put the whole motor back together. Just to find out that the oil cooler under the EGR cooler is what caused it. Or just drive it and it does the same thing. (oil cooler plugged, get's to hot, melts the the inside of the EGR cooler) A lot of work to go back in it. I agree do it right the first time. Remember the oil cooler. It is one of the hardest things to get to. Can't be checked untill the truck is running with no leaks. I would just include that like EGR cooler, and gasket set. I dealt with Ford on so many trucks with LOT'S of history that Kept coming back. And they sent them my way.

Last edited:

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh that is mostly early build 6.0 to early 04. Then a lot of things were changed. Hoped that helped.

Last edited:

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
Im glad that the kit that I just bought includes a new oil cooler and all the gaskets.
I didn't realize that the oil cooler could be a problem until I spoke with a guy at ford.
The parts come in next Wednesday. I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the info Mark.

wizkid

fummins
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got done with everything. I had some issues when I first started up.
the passanger heads banjo bolt was a little loose so I tightened up and let it idle for a while. Drove it around trying to get all the bugs out, only two issues it surged a little bit at a stop sign and it stalled going around a corner in my neighborhood. After that I got it home to let it idle for a while longer. Now the truck runs great!
Can you believe I did all that by myself at 18?

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got done with everything. I had some issues when I first started up.
the passanger heads banjo bolt was a little loose so I tightened up and let it idle for a while. Drove it around trying to get all the bugs out, only two issues it surged a little bit at a stop sign and it stalled going around a corner in my neighborhood. After that I got it home to let it idle for a while longer. Now the truck runs great!
Can you believe I did all that by myself at 18?

Good for you. Great experience, and savings:clap:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58