Question 2003 F250 mirror questions

STPETEBLUE

I See FORD People
Reaction score
As you can see by my sig, I'm not too Ford familiar. However, a buddy of mine just picked up a 2003 F250 and it has the small power mirrors w/o turn signals. I don't think they are heated, either. He would like to get the tow mirrors, but there appears to be several OEM styles (unlike GM which only has two). I don't think he cares about heat or signals, but it would be nice if they would work without any splicing, etc. It does have the Lariat package.

My questions are:
What year did the large tow mirrors debut?
Can he get tow mirrors that just plug and play?
Didn't the first years just have power only, no signal?
If he gets mirrors with signals, will they work?
Which plug does '03 have in the door, round or rectangle?

Sorry for all the questions. I did a search, but did not find conclusive answers. Hate to sound like a newbie here, but I guess when it comes to non-GM, that's what I am.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

JRJ04

Reaction score
The 2003 was the 1st year that the lighted tow mirrors came out. Previous to that, they were only power. He should have a rectangle plug, and he should be able to plug the lighted ones right into it.

He will have turn signals and heat, but no park lights. 2004 and up had turn signals, park lights and heat.

Hope this helps!

STPETEBLUE

I See FORD People
Reaction score
That really does. So the pre 2003 mirrors would have the round plug?

Also, his is a 7.3L. Does that make a difference for '03? Did they offer both motors in the same model year, or did the 6.0L come out mid-year (making it a 2003.5) with other possible changes like plug configuration (rectangle vs. round and mirrors with turn signals vs. w/o signals)?

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the mirrors he has do not have signals or heat, he will have to run the wires for those options. I had the power tow mirrors on my '03(without heat or signals) and upgraded to the '08 mirrors, and had to rewire.

By the way I still have those '03 mirrors if anyone is interested.

STPETEBLUE

I See FORD People
Reaction score
If the mirrors he has do not have signals or heat, he will have to run the wires for those options. I had the power tow mirrors on my '03(without heat or signals) and upgraded to the '08 mirrors, and had to rewire.

By the way I still have those '03 mirrors if anyone is interested.
Are they the large mirrors? I don't think he cares if they are heated or have signals, as long as they are the large manual extend tow mirrors that are power adjust. However, I don't want to speak for him, I'm just trying to gather the info so he can choose the right type (and year) mirror to install.
Thanks for the info so far.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they the large mirrors? I don't think he cares if they are heated or have signals, as long as they are the large manual extend tow mirrors that are power adjust. However, I don't want to speak for him, I'm just trying to gather the info so he can choose the right type (and year) mirror to install.
Thanks for the info so far.

Yes they are the OEM tow mirrors, and they do extend. I did cut the plugs off of mine and used them with my new mirrors but he can just cut the plugs off of his mirrors and use them with these, or just do away with the plug all together and solder the wires like most people do. He more than likely has the rectangle plug. My not so local dealer actually gave me the pins I needed to fit in the rectangle plug. I sent you a PM with some pics of them mirrors. Let me know if you need more or are even interested.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58