2004 6.0 Excursion down

Taylor_Mish

Taylor_Mish
Reaction score
Just got done with a 7 hour trip... The ex and our trailer was towed to our house for the last 100 miles.

Basically, heard a loud pop... sounded like a gun (i thought for sure something came through the block), and cloud of steam. Pulled over blah blah, no oil, no high temps, oil read on dipstick of engine, little oil read on tranny stick... quite a bit of oil on the transfer case crossmember and residual oil on the bottom of the car.

We drove a few miles to a mechanic and tow truck, only able to cruise about 35mph... No power, and it seemed like it was stuck in o/d. Converter fryed???

Oh yeah, we were towing a 27foot enclosed snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds in it... prob around but not much more than 6k... This is the first time the EX has seen this trailer or anything this heavy before.

So before I take it in, do I take my Juice/ Attitude out?

Any ideas on what it could be?

Warranty w/ 60+k miles on it?

Thanks,
Just want to go about it the best way possible.

-T

JRJ04

Reaction score
Check and make sure one of your intercooler tubes didnt pop off. i dont know about the steam, but it there is oil in the intercooler.

As far as the edge goes...it really depends on your dealer. If you've got a good relationship with them, I suppose you could leave it on. If it were me, I would take it off in case they reflash your computer or anything like that is done.

Maybe your EGR cooler or oil cooler blew??:dunno

I'm not all that familiar with the 6.0's but I'm sure someone will chime in with some help.

Good luck!:sweet

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
X2 with the Bushpilot. Check the top one. Big bang, no go..if its the hoses, easy fix. Dramatic when it happens, though.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If you were pulling a hard grade with high rpms it's possible one of the boots blew off or ruptured. Now if your transmission is malfunctioning then you may have a couple repairs ahead of you.The oil residue you found was it engine or transmission?

Let us know what you find.

Taylor_Mish

Taylor_Mish
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll give that a check. If not I'll pull the Edge and take it in to the dealership... Hard to say what they will do being as we are 500+ miles from home

Taylor_Mish

Taylor_Mish
Reaction score
Intercooler boots are all in tact. Seems like there was some coolant spillage or boil over...

Good news is its at the dealer and we just got finished test driving a killer f350 HD edition... Could turn out to be a nice trip:sly

Taylor_Mish

Taylor_Mish
Reaction score
dont know if anyone is still lookin at this thread...

but, we blew the intercooler (is it only wierd to me that the boots didn't go before the cooler itself)...

anyway, ford will check the turbo for any thing that would make it over boost and replace the intercooler.

thanks guys

-T

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow the only other 6.0 intercooler end caps ive heard
about blowing were on a truck that was running a
power enhancing tuner...and it blew @ 54lbs !

you can bet the dealer is gonna be looking to see if youre
running any kinda tuner !

a failing VGT solanoid will cause the vari-vanes on the turbo
to close (or is it open...never can keep that straight) & cause
over boosting !

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it to the dealer and they are working on it now.
Just keep us posted on how it all turns out.
Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14