2004 6.0 troubles

Chief118

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Greetings all; Ive spent 2 days surfing the forums to see if anyone else has these challenges.

#1. about 3 weeks ago the truck started to sputter and hesitate under load. Gray smoke filled the street like I had a smoke genereator installed on back. Then the turbo kicked in and the truck took off like a shot. Only happened once.

Happened again today, worse though, now the check engine light is on. I scanned the code and received "actual turbo boost is less than expected turbo boost" no explanation. Parts store guys are scratching their heads.

#2. Now my day time running lights wont illuminate nor will the automatic lights. Parking lights and running lights come on, but no headlights until you turn the knob.

#3 the stereo cuts on and off. Was off for two days, Now its on again, but cant change any stations or raise or lower volume.

#4 The power rear window no longer works.

I dont know if these are seperate issues or all related to some electrical short. I had an electrical guroo here for 3 hours and he could not find anything on the scanner or any loose or bad connections under the dash. He also checked every fuse and everyone of them is good.

Any suggestions??? Im a carpenter. Im handy with a wrench if I know what Im looking for. Thanks :dizzy

Chief118

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Additional Info;

Ive already cleaned the EGR, installed new orings, cleaned the passage ways around the EGR, changed the MAP Sensor, New hose to the map sensor from manifold, ANd cleaned the Waste Gate Actuator on the turbo. THE EGR moves freely with only hand strength. the Waste Gate moves freely when pressing on it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is no wastegate on a 6.0. It is a variable vane design that changes the pitch as you need more boost. You must have moved the actuator for the vanes.

Dave :)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your batteries and there cables. Have them load tested the batt.s one at a time first. These trucks are really picky about there voltage. Sounds like a bad ground from the batt.s.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Dogman says, electrical connections are bad. This engine has to have proper voltage or they will not function properly. Take both batteries out and have them tested individually. Clean all cables and battery post if the batteries check out ok. Reconnect them. If batteries re bad or even if one is bad, buy a new matched pair of batteries. Make sure all the connections including ground to frame connections are clean, tight and good.

Chief118

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Smokey, Dogman, will do that next. This am (0500) radio was working, power windows did not work, daytime running lights were working. This is gonna be fun isnt it.:dunno

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
ive seen this kind of electrical issues before on the gassers mainly but water getting on the fuse block thats under the dash from water leaking in the front windsheild getting on it and causeing alot of electrical issues
just another thing to check

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This will cause problems in the diesel trucks also. The water runs down onto the fuse block and the resulting corrosion plays havoc with the truck.

Dave

Chief118

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks

Thanks again gentleman, Ill pull the fuse block out its only held in with 4 bolts. I did find that I have a remote start and an alarm ALREADY installed in teh truck. Im going to start with someone looking at the remote system, Im thinking this may be the root of my issues. It doesnt look like it was installed so well.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg