2004 6.0L King Ranch (Need Suggestions)

DFurman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just found the site tonite and now i dont have to wait for the diesel truck mags. to do something on the 6.0L. I just bought a 2004 King ranch 4x4 auto (not a dualie) and i am looking to spend a little money on it. I am just after getting better milage for the most part. I am going to add 33" tires with just a leveling kit in the front. What should i spend my money on? Intake, Exhaust, ECM upgrades???? I am pretty new to the diesel side of the house. What combos work good together for my case? I dont really do the slep pulling thing, nor do i pull anything, just wanted the truck because it was my grandfathers and he passed away and i wanted to keep the truck in the family. It only has 28K miles on it. Thanks..

Doug

Last edited:

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
First off, welcome. King Ranch would have been my first choice, but I really don't need all of that leather. Nice interior though. Second, make sure you keep that wallet tucked away or you will be spending more than what you really need to. As far as exhaust, MBRP is the choice that most people tend to go towards more. The stock air box is pretty good and doesn't really need to be changed, but if you get the urge to change it out, depending on your preference, AFE Stage II is the way to go and a High Ram Intake from Banks. I would stay away from programmers, being that you might blow a motor or two and it will void your warranty, depending on the dealer. Other than that, kick you feet back and soak in all of the info. I'm pretty sure you will find out what you will want to do. Happy hunting!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome Hello Doug, and welcome to SSD.com. Joey said about the same thing I would say. I would put 4 in turbo back exhaust (MBRP or Silverline) 5 or 6 in tip on it for some sound. You said you wouldn't be doing any towing. If never you want need them, but if you tow your buddy's big ole boat to the lake some time you would need gages to keep an eye on what going on under the hood.
Please feel out your signature and let us know about your truck and where you are from. :welcome :welcome

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXHAUST youll find OVERWHELMINGLY that most have gone w/ MBRP....
either cat back or MBRP turbo back...you can play around w/ adding a
cat delete pipe just for the hell of it too...get it and other great items
from one of the sponsors/vendors here (ive personally had great service from):

DPPI
ITP Diesel
Diesel Innovations
Diesel Site

even if you DONT tow give some serious consideration to an investment
in guages, the indash trans guage is WORTHLESS (and heres PROOF)

guages like an EGT (exhaust gas temp) & Boost pressure guage will help you
diagnose problems, like egr valve failure etc. (so adding guages can be
worth the investment...and they will aid you in trouble shooting the truck
if you ever have a problem....its one of the 1st things any one ask you
youre having intermittant performance issues)

personally id stay away from flip chips & tuners...sure more power is
fun but they tend to create problems & raise too many questions about
warrenty coverage (remember you DO have warrenty 5yr/100k on the
engine).

add a COOLANT (bypass) filter, its cheap insurance and will filter out
the sand and casting garbage that didnt get washed out when the engine
was built...itll even clear up the white coolant tank enough so you can
more easily see the coolant level. its an EASY DIY modification: COOLANT FILTER LINK

buy a couple of extra coolant filters...the 1st ones plug up w/ sand VERY
quickly after installation.

consider adding some aux. reverse lights under the bumper...theyll
go a LONG way in helping you back that city block long beast in your
drive way...heres a good WIRING diagram & relay set up that you can
use no matter what lights you put under the rear bumper: BACKUP LIGHTS

Heres some nice CUSTOM FIT window shades that will help keep the
heat out during the summer: CEE BAILEYS for your
SUPERDUTY 250/350 front doors & windshield

heres a DIY mod, that allows you to run the under bumper factory
white driving lights w/ the highbeams on: LINK

heres some GREAT MIRRORS to help w/ the blind spots (and towing)
even if you have the factory towing mirrors (once you put 'em on
you love 'em so much you wont take 'em off): C-BETR Mirrors

i never thought id tow anything either...but now that youve GOT something
that CAN tow you & your friends will be asking..."hey can you pull a car
or haul a motorcycle for me
...."

heres a GREAT 10k lbs (closest rated to your factory installed hitch)
adjustable ball hitch (itll pretty much allow you to pull ANY trailer
regardless of height) and is rated to nearly match the factory installed
hitch. RAPID HITCH

Oh....and welcome aboard ! look around and dont be afraid to ask questions
we were all new to this diesel & truck thing once...

Last edited:

DFurman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Exhaust

Okeidy looks like i am ordering the 3 ga. pillar with boost, pyro, and tranny temps. Im looking at exhaust options here. Im liking the MBRP offroad kit with cat delete but i dunno. If not that then im guessing turbo back would be best. Hows that sound? P.S. Filled out the sig for you guys!

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires

Hi there...

My truck is bone stock, but plan on adding the MBRP exhaust, turbo back and a delete pipe at some point. Right now, I have good power and 18-20 mpg, so I am not in any hurry to add upgrades at this point. After warrentee is up, then I will add a SCT or Edge, which ever will be the best one at that time. You might want to just drive your truck and see how you like it stock. I am very satisfied with mine.

Just remember that the wider, heavier good looking oversized tires will kill the fuel mileage.

bigdiesel99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi there doug, every one is giving you good info, start with the things already mentioned and if you would like to get more power lower EGT's put on water/methanol injection it is also called a chemical intercooler, it will give you about 70 RWHP, the reason i tell you that is because the Variable turbo that is on the 6.0 causes excessive temps this will help your engine in the long run and give you more power.. there are several differnet kits from snow performance. P.S. the king ranch is a badass truck..... if your going to jump jump all the way and get the best......:thumbs

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Hello Dfurman Got a bone stock 2004 Harley #1438 Orange and Black with a leveling Kit Pulled 20 thousand pound Trailer and Tractor will not Modify this truck Pulled it Like a dream. got 15 miles to the Gallon pulled it 400 miles The King ranch is a awsome truck Just run it Like you stole It BUBBA

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bigdiesel99 said:
hi there doug, every one is giving you good info, start with the things already mentioned and if you would like to get more power lower EGT's put on water/methanol injection it is also called a chemical intercooler, it will give you about 70 RWHP, the reason i tell you that is because the Variable turbo that is on the 6.0 causes excessive temps this will help your engine in the long run and give you more power.. there are several differnet kits from snow performance. P.S. the king ranch is a badass truck..... if your going to jump jump all the way and get the best......:thumbs

this from a man w/ a 99.5 7.3L...do tell PLEASE how you
know and where youve READ that the 6.0 "causes excessive temps"...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14