2005 6.0 No Oil Pressure on Start and Dies Immediately

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started up a few minutes ago, and I got a low oil pressure warning on the dash (gauge was on zero), and the truck immediately died. If I try to restart, it will eventually fire, but dies immediately. Is this the high-pressure oil pump issue I've heard of with these trucks? I'm about to call the dealer to get it towed in, just wondering if this is what the deal is.

Thanks,

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, oil level is OK.

For the past several weeks, I have had some gauge trouble. It was the gas gauge, would sometimes not register fuel level on startup, and would just stay down at the bottom. If I'd drive around awhile, stop, and then restart, the gauge would then register. I haven't looked into that issue yet. Yesterday is when I had the issue with no oil pressure. Just like the gas gauge, the oil pressure gauge would not register on startup.

Another thing I've had the past couple of weeks is noticing that on startup it was taking longer to get the truck to actually fire up. I figured it was just the quality of the fuel where I'd been filling up. I switched stations and it was firing fine afterward. Not sure if this means anything, but just putting it out there.

Last edited:

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the high pressure fitting on the back of the high pressure oil pump. If it hasn't already been replaced. If it has they need to dead head. (block of high pressure oil from left and right then read the pressures) Could be injectors, oil log, or 8 different o-rings. Hope that helps.

Metalhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the high pressure oil pump. I got the truck back yesterday from the dealership. It's a good thing that I opted for the extended warranty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58