2005 6.0 won't start in the cold

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im posting this from my iPad as I'm waiting for roadside assistance to come rescue me.

My truck is a 2005 F250 6.0 with just under 100,000 miles. The temperatures today have been around 0F and currently it's -9F. My truck gets plugged in at night and starts fine in the morning. After sitting at the office for 9 hours today the truck won't start. It turns over and tries to start but it's like it's not getting enough fuel to run. Stepping on the accelerator while cranking the engine doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried cycling the glow plugs multiple times before cranking the engine, pumping the accelerator while cranking, basically everything I can think of. In my efforts to start the truck the batteries are now too weak to turn the engine fast enough to start so I'm waiting for roadside assistance to come jump start it.

My batteries are Napa Legends and are not even 2 years old. Once the engine starts it runs great and restarts easily when it's warm. Not sure what else to say to help you help me so feel free to ask anything that I may have missed. The truck is down right now but it's not a huge emergency since I'm nice and warm in my office and have help on the way. I didn't want to post this on the 911 forum and take attention away from someone who needs help far me than I do right now.

Thank you in advance for all the help

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you figure out what the problem was?

Here's my "help":
First, do the obvious: Check to ensure the fuel isn't gelled up.

When it's a cold start (and 0 deg. F is pretty dang cold), cycle the key to "on", listen for the injectors to stop chattering, then cycle the key to "off". You don't need to wait for the WTS light (the little squiggly icon) to go out.
Do this 3 or 4 times... you'll probably notice a change in the way the injectors sound in the course of this procedure.
On the last cycle, when the injectors stop chattering, wait for the WTS light to go out and give it a crank.

Also, pumping the accelerator is a waste of time on that truck. There is no mechanical linkage like in the old days. Strictly "fly-by-wire".

I and others will be interested in knowing what the problem and resolution was.

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During my troubleshooting I found the truck was 2 quarts low on oil. I don't know if that was really the problem but seems like the truck started as soon as I brought the oil level up to where it should have been.

I have only put 35 miles on the truck since I had the oil change the end of November. Looking under the truck when it's running it appears the oil is being lost out of the back of the engine at a pretty alarming rate.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
A couple of things that might help you. The HPOP is what makes the injectors work. If the oil is low, the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump) won't pick up oil and quits working. You must make sure your oil level is up there. The second thing is these trucks don't leak oil from the rear seal. It does not happen. Oil comes from up top and runs down the back of the motor. Your HPOP O-rings maybe leaking and causing both problems. Look carefully on top for the oil leak.

Dave :)

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck won't start again this morning despite being plugged in all night. Having it towed to the dealer tomorrow to be checked out. Need to have a hub seal fixed anyway so this is good motivation to get it in for that also.

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
When in cold weather it's critical to keep your fuel treated. If you get fuel localy it is more than likely ok for the average temps. You still have to pay attention for a cold snap coming and add additional anti-gel before it gets colder. Once its gelled up in your system the only remedy is to get it in a warm shop and get everything thaughed out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58