2005 blueish/white smoke

egregg57

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
egregg57-Thanks for the very well described description of potential problems. For some reason I thought I updated the thread when I got the repair work done.

Your answer was dead on...as it was my EGR cooler, oil cooler and FICM that all failed. The dealership stated when the EGR cooler went south for the winter it also took out my oil cooler. I can't recall what the deal with the FICM unit was, but they were happy to quote a repair bill over 3 grand. I promptly told them I would be there with my F350 and a trailer and take it somewhere cheaper. The dealership called back and reduced the repair bill by 50%, so I had them fix it. (Maybe I should try this ploy everytime they quote a repair bill?!?!?!:sly)

I do plug in during cold nights/mornings, and will look at changing the weight of my oil. This truck now gets tasked with my Arctic Fox slide in, so I would like to keep it in top shape.

Thanks again for your reply...even if it was late;tu

It's a good thing and at a good price by the sounds!

I noticed a nice difference in running 5W-40 Rotella T-6. It is available at Walmart and other places. Easier, smoother starts in the cold with out the block heater, easier on injectors as well. Some studies were done on it and they were positive (some time ago) and the diesel mechanic I use at my local Ford dealer (23 years ASC Certified, Ford Senior Master diesel mechanic) highly recommended it.

Eric

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
egregg57-Thanks for the very well described description of potential problems. For some reason I thought I updated the thread when I got the repair work done.

Your answer was dead on...as it was my EGR cooler, oil cooler and FICM that all failed. The dealership stated when the EGR cooler went south for the winter it also took out my oil cooler. I can't recall what the deal with the FICM unit was, but they were happy to quote a repair bill over 3 grand. I promptly told them I would be there with my F350 and a trailer and take it somewhere cheaper. The dealership called back and reduced the repair bill by 50%, so I had them fix it. (Maybe I should try this ploy everytime they quote a repair bill?!?!?!:sly)

I do plug in during cold nights/mornings, and will look at changing the weight of my oil. This truck now gets tasked with my Arctic Fox slide in, so I would like to keep it in top shape.

Thanks again for your reply...even if it was late;tu

With the times the way they are right now most dealers are more likely to drop the price. My dad's '99 Cummins lost an injection pump and fuel pump on the way back from the Oregon coast and had no choice but to have it towed to the nearest dealer and they quoted $3500. He told them he was going to call around. 10min later they called back at $2800 he said he was still going to make a few phone calls and ended up getting them all the way down to $2200 and got them to install a FASS high pressure/flow fuel pump to boot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58