2005 SD 6.0 surges

TDHoffman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum and I recently purchased a 2005 SD CC 6.0 and when I drive down the road there is a constant surge mostly when the turbo engages.This is the first turbo diesel I've owned and I'm not really sure what the problem is. Please Help. Thanks.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello TDH and welcome to SSD.com. Tell us more about your truck, is it a F-250 or F-350
SRW or DRW. How many miles are on the truck?
Hope you come back often.
Doug

sikodiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum and I recently purchased a 2005 SD CC 6.0 and when I drive down the road there is a constant surge mostly when the turbo engages.This is the first turbo diesel I've owned and I'm not really sure what the problem is. Please Help. Thanks.

sounds like a turbo issue. pretty common on 6.0. What happens is rust builds up on the turbine side where the vains slide. it causes them to kinda jump

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always good to get the codes read also. Surging could very well be a turbo issue, or it could be an issue in the high pressure oil system (like the ICP sensor or even the IPR valve).

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had the same problem for 5 years. dealer quoted $2000 for a new turbo plus installation. only problem is that this is the 2nd turbo already. i do let the truck sit for a week at a time and thats what kills em. i have a 2004 so i had the throttle body plate, i romoved that and unplugged the egr and that improved the "surgeing" problem. hardly happens now, but a new turbo would most likely rust up since i cant drive it everyday

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58