2005 Torqshift...Is it damaged?????

Wwblue05

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, somewhat of a Newbie here, searching for info on just this problem (soft or slipping upshift from 3 to 4 with Torqshift, 6.0). Have noticed the same soft, or drawn-out, slow shift from 3rd to 4th on my '05 6.0. It was always that way, but after adding a B-D tuner about 16 months after buying the truck new (Jul. 2005) it would occasionally shift very hard from 3-4, even on gentle acceleration from a stop. It was like it would slip very briefly, allowing the engine to rev, then slam into gear, like as if you put it in N, rev'd to about 1800 rpm and pulled it into gear. Eventually asked the B-D tech people about the sudden, very hard shift, as I was very concerned about it. The reply at the time was that the trans has to relearn every time I changed the tune level of the tuner program, which I could do on the fly. I did change the tune level pretty often, mainly trying to determine which level gave me the best mileage, and I did notice that after a few shifts this hard shift would quit. About 6 months ago the slip-shift became persistent, but only occasionally doing the rev with hard shift. Then it started doing like a free-wheeling after acceleration, whether hard or gentle acceleration the going into cruise mode with the throttle, then would down-shift suddenly and shift back up very firmly.

This week I finally took it to a dealer, but not the one I have always gone to for service. The service mgr. called and asked if I had had a tuner in it, or have a tuner in it. (Had removed the program, but have the B-D Monitor gauge pod on the dash, which can be installed and used without a tuner program). Then he said some code showed that a tuner program had been in it. (This I had never heard of, and wonder if anyone has.)

My main Question though, is, how common is the soft, slow upshift from 3 to 4 with the 6.0 5spd auto., and, is it very common for this to worsen to the point of really being a problem in driving, or outright failure, with or without a tuner?

[I have done all maintenance since new that the owners manual calls for, including the trans., and would ask the service writers if anything else was needed. (That did not prevent the egr/oil cooler failure from happening right after my 75K warranty went off, and right after I had service done at about 73,500 to leave on vacation, where I started noticing strange symptoms. Was told "everything is OK" at the service, when in fact the oil cooler was already clogging up with bad coolant.)]

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
My 06 has done the soft shift thing under light throttle almost since new. With or without a tune in it. Never under load has it done this. I call it a flare. Trans fluid still smells good so I don't worry about it anymore. Its a random thing that you can't get to repeat if you try.

Wwblue05

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That is good to hear from another 6.0 owner. Since removing the B-D program to take it to the dealer, then driving it for maybe 120-130 miles, the "flare"/slip-shift has seemingly quit. At least it didn't do it today, drove it easily for 15-20 miles. My observation also is that the slip/flare and rev-up has not happened under a load. By that I mean not towing or hauling, but I really can't say I know of an instance when it slipped and rev'd under full throttle or more than casual acceleration in a 35-45 mph speed zone. It did do some of the inappropriate down shifting, like from 4 to 3, after hard acceleration as well as gentle acceleration. With the B-D Triple Dog program in, it seemed to not do the flare/slip as much on Stock setting as Performance or Extreme, or even Tow, but it is interesting that after the little driving I have done since taking out the BD program that it seems to be not doing any slipping.

The Service Mgr. that seemed to not want to do anything with my truck had said there were trans codes indicating mechanical malfunction, but I am really wondering if that is the case. Meanwhile will take it to the dealer I have always gone to, and see what those guys say. They know me pretty well, and I know them; they know I have had the program in and they have worked on my truck numerous times. They have even been out in it with their Ford lap top, plugging it in alternately with my Bully Dog monitor to compare their oil and coolant temp readings with what the BD monitor was showing.
I think that if there are really any issues with the trans, or the engine, they are likely to treat me right with my warranty. If they say there are no codes for trans malfunction, or no reason for repair, I will drive it and see, but I will be seriously thinking about selling it while it still has plenty of warranty on it. Shame, because I really like the truck. Planned on driving it to the point where they tell me I can't drive anymore.

Thanks for the response, it is encouraging.

Wwblue05

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update on tranny problems: Took it to dealer where I have always gone, and where I bought the 2nd ESP. The tech told me after pulling the filter and seeing metal, and driving it, he didn't think there would be any problem with getting replacement approved, or about having the BullyDog Monitor on the dash (with no program in the ecm).

It also helped that of the two area Ford inspectors we got the more reasonable one. They replaced the tranny with a remanufactured unit, with 3 yr warranty. Tech said it started with a bad seal that caused low pressure in planetary unit, wear in bearings, then cascade of breakdown from there. After paying for the egr/oil cooler and fan clutch failure repair, it sure helped take off some of the sting of that for Ford to take care of the trans replacement.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal, you lucked out. When most see a BullyDog Monitor all they want to do is say NO!!! Glad yours took good care of you.
If you don't mind me asking what dealer in Eastern OK. I had some work done on my truck at the dealer in Idabel last spring.
Was real pleased with everything but the price. LOL
Doug

Wwblue05

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Riverside Autoplex (Ford), Poteau. 877-839-5902 or 918-649-3727. Anita and Carlton are the service writers; Gary is tech that did the work, nice guy and very helpful in answering Q's, etc.

I'll bet you went to Hodges in Idabel. I had a terrible experience with them in Muskogee, with a '98 F150 door noise. Bought the truck from them. They left the door threshold plate and other trim loose and out of place, after not finding cause of the noise. Tech at Poteau found the cause, which was the door latch.

One other thing about Hodges: I pulled into the Muskogee store while pulling my Mustang on my car hauler, unhappy with the '97 4.6 I had unwittingly bought, just to look at the 5.4's. They gave me the highest pressure sales routine I had seen in years, the sales guy literally talked me buying right then, literally with a sob story about needing to buy shoes for his kids. Can't believe I didn't walk the other way.

If you talk with Anita at Riverside, tell her Doc sent you. Good luck with it.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live 200 miles away from there, that was on one of my month long vacations that I take to go fishing in OK.
Yep, it was Hodges, the old man is dead now and one of the sons took over and they now own the Dodge
dealer in Broken Bow. Sorry about the high pressure, had a guy try that on me once and I started walking
to my old truck, What's wrong, I am just not in the mood to buy a new truck today. BYEBYE. LOL
Doug

Wwblue05

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is definitely the way to handle an act like that. I amazed myself that I didn't. I was just really frustrated with the weakling 4.6, which I bought without doing any research on the upcoming engines, and succumbed to lust for a bigger engine. Should have cooled down and waited 'till they upped the HP in the 5.4's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58